Caribou Gear Tarp

Carry a spare release in the field?

I carry an extra in the bottom of my pack. Sometimes, I just put it in a cargo pocket in case I need it quickly. Have only been hunting about six years, but i actually dropped mine as I hiked out from camp. A couple guys camping near me handed it to me when I got back to camp. Thankfully I had the extra as well as two nice guys camping nearby.

I’ll actually have two spares in my pack this year. Planning to use a thumb button as my primary this year for the first time and will have both my index ones in the pack

I forgot my release in my truck once and didn't realize it until I went to draw back on a big doe at 20 yards. Short 30" ata bow and in that moment thought to myself screw it, I'll shoot fingers. Well the arrow went over her back.

I still don't carry a spare but I'm sure to double check I have it every time. More so I don't carry a spare because I shoot a wriststrap release, so as long as I didn't forget it and put it on my wrist I can't loose it

Would just add, please realize that the release will affect shot trajectory, so the spare should be the same (or close) to the primary in terms of operation. I figure most probably know this but someone may not.

Yes I carry a spare. Yes one of you guys may have found the one I dropped and couldn’t find. 😊

Yes. But I failed to check my primary release before I left camp one morning elk hunting in 2021. Cost me a nice 6x6 bull. The trigger creep set screw had worked loose and backed out, so when I went to draw on the bull the release self triggered when I started to draw. To late to switch to the backup release at that point. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back