Carry a spare release in the field?

I never carry a spare in the field. I do have a spare in my camp. Couldn't you just use your fingers if something happened to the release?

Well that's a false statement. It's not something you can do without some practice but it is not impossible by any means.
I never said it was. I said it wasn’t effective. Of course it can be done, but if you shoot your bow with a release, you shouldn’t expect to be nearly as effective with your bare hands. I don’t care how much you practice it, there are significant differences in arrow flight and aim point that reduce consistency and accuracy

Took me precisely *one* instance of driving 45 minutes to a WMA and hiking about a mile back in to a stand, then realizing my Scott Mongoose was at home rather than in my hunting pack to learn the value of keeping a spare on hand.

No because I’m either counting grams and going into the extreme or close enough to the car that I’ll just walk back and drive to the bow shop.

Well that's a false statement. It's not something you can do without some practice but it is not impossible by any means.
I bowhunted for years without a release. It just means you need to get closer to shoot. Bowhunting used to be something that required lots of practice and skill in getting close to an animal. Not the case anymore.

Always have a spare at my tent.

I set my gloves down a lot. No telling how many pairs of those are squirel nest material by this point.

Thankfully I never set my release down.

I carry an extra release in my bino harness that is the exact same as my primary. I learned my lesson and won't be making that mistake again.

Man, I don't even own a spare release. Maybe I should get one..... Might leave it in the truck but I ain't carrying it in my pack 24/7.

Man, I don't even own a spare release. Maybe I should get one..... Might leave it in the truck but I ain't carrying it in my pack 24/7.
I shoot a Nock On Nock 2 It, so it's a small handheld that doesn't take up much space and it weighs a few oz.

I shoot a Nock On Nock 2 It, so it's a small handheld that doesn't take up much space and it weighs a few oz.
I'm just saying theres other "extras" I would carry long before I started carrying duplicate gear just in case. I can see maybe if you use a handheld release that you are prone to setting down or dropping. I use a scott little bity goose which has a wrist strap that never leaves my wrist. So unless It incurs a mechanical malfunction, which is possible, I'm not too worried about carrying a spare. I think I will, however, get an extra to keep in the truck. That's a good idea.

Absolutely. I put my release in the category of "shit that would end a hunt if I didn't have a spare"! My pack isn't overkill or overly heavy due to the few spare essentials I keep with me. I leave the spare bow in the truck though....gotta draw the line somewhere :).

Had a Velcro release strap. Pulled it tight and it broke. It was opening day and I was hunting a bachelor group of three mature whitetails. They came along and I killed one with fingers. I now carry a spare.

I do not get to go west and hunt so most of my hunting is within .5 mile of the truck. I keep a spare there and yes, I have forgot the damn thing and had to go back to the truck for it once. If I do get the chance to go to the mountains again some day, I will bring the spare along. I did find a decent release on a trail in the badlands once and I'm sure someone was missing it. Gave it away after a couple of years so dont ask.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back