Carry a spare release in the field?

I have two identical (different colors though to keep them separate) Carter releases. In the field, one is in a zippered pants pocket, like the thigh pocket on my Timberlines. The other one lives in a AOT mount on the bow. Gives options and immediate backup.

I haven’t been archery hunting in 17 years, but this year IM buying a second release and practicing with it. I’ve been like SDPrairie Goat and never thought much about it. But where I’m hunting this Oct Billings would be the nearest town, which is 3-4 hours away. I plan to have extra everything

I am seeing a trend here.....
Get a damn backup release! Sure, another release is a spendy "just in case" purchase, but you would kick your own ass everyday at high noon if the shot of a lifetime was ruined because you lost your release or it broke, etc. I think the spare release is in the same camp as a spare headlamp, spare key for the vehicle, etc. Basically, anything that if you lost/broke/forgot could be a show-stopper during a hunt or just make it a suckfest.

Always carry a spare in the pack. Only took one time to be a couple miles down the trail and realize my release was still in the case at the truck... "Suckfest" to quote Wrong Burgundy.

Mine lives in my pack year round. Weighs nothing so I don't worry about taking it in and out for archery season

I am thoroughly surprised by the number of replies on this post that are that adamant about having a spare release. Maybe this is just me but all the releases I have had were not fragile items. I would be curious where the line for critical spare parts lands for most people. I mean are you carrying a spare alternator, fuel pump, drive lines, etc. for your truck?

I am thoroughly surprised by the number of replies on this post that are that adamant about having a spare release. Maybe this is just me but all the releases I have had were not fragile items. I would be curious where the line for critical spare parts lands for most people. I mean are you carrying a spare alternator, fuel pump, drive lines, etc. for your truck?
I bring a car trailer and haul the same make/model truck behind my truck. Just in case something happens!

In all seriousness, it's a good idea to have an extra release in the truck or pack. That reminds me. I should go grab another.

What's the downside to having one in your pack? I agree that most are not real fragile but I've had a pin come loose on one that would have rendered it useless had it fallen out. I'm sure there's a few people that have left them laying on the side of the mountain too.

Yep, I shoot a handheld which resides in the little zipper pocket in my bino harness and I live in fear of the day I reach for it and it will be gone. So I carry another in my pack.

What's the downside to having one in your pack? I agree that most are not real fragile but I've had a pin come loose on one that would have rendered it useless had it fallen out. I'm sure there's a few people that have left them laying on the side of the mountain too.
I somehow dropped mine in a skid trail after I got my first elk. Discovered it missing the next time I went to shoot my bow. Weirdest part is that my dads best friend was randomly walking that skid trail a couple weeks later and picked up the release with no knowledge it was mine until I found it in his truck a month or so later

No downside other than a little weight. Also if it came across that I was implying it's a dumb idea to pack one that wasn't the intention. In my head inspecting my release and bow on a somewhat regular basis and making sure they are in perfect working order makes packing a spare seem redundant to me.

I do. I keep one in my pack throughout bow season. I subscribe to a "two is one and one is none" approach on those sorts of easy light things; although I will carry an extra bow or gun in the truck.

It's not about releases being fragile. It's about my dumdass forgetting it in the truck or at home.

I absolutely have. On my old Jeep, I had on board, spare front axle shafts, spare rear axle shafts, one spare driveshaft made specifically to fit both front and rear, redundant air supply sources for the air lockers, extra fabricated Pittman arm, at least one extra of each Heim joint type, spare alternator, fuel pump, and fluids of all types, plus on board welder. This was for a vehicle that wheeled hard in remote areas with custom parts that you couldn't buy even in a major city, let alone at Buck Island Lake on the Rubicon.

A spare release is such a no brainer, can't imagine someone not carrying one.

Always carry a spare in the pack. Only took one time to be a couple miles down the trail and realize my release was still in the case at the truck... "Suckfest" to quote Wrong Burgundy.
Years ago when I first got into archery and bought a bow, one thing I remember the shop owner taught me was where to keep my release. From day one if my release is not on my wrist it's on the grip of my bow. You never forget it, and it somewhat prevents someone picking up your bow and dry firing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back