Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cancer SUCKS!!!

Thanks guys! And Utah400, we will hope and pray for your recovery as well.

Just a few years ago, a 3yr old little girl in Bozeman was diagnosed with cancer as well, they are trying to raise awareness and having a fundraiser in bozeman by hosting a dodgeball tournament this spring.

Since I own a billboard company, I figured I could help and donated the full cost of their billboard display for a few months. If anyone wants to put a team together for that tournament, all the information is on the billboard just east of the Belgrade Exit. I believe its April 13th. Cancer shouldn't happen to anyone but certainly not to KIDS!

Another reason my wife and I are proud supporters of St.Judes.......

Brought tears to my eyes reading that story. Ill be praying for jim and his family. Ill be praying for you as well critter, I can only hope ull be apart of that little boys life to be the father figure he'll be needing. Gunna be rough on him.

thecrittergitter, thanks for being there for your friend Jim and his family. Our prayers are with you all.
Utah400elk, we'll be thinking of you, as well as draftstud's cousin and Tarheel's sister in law.
Lots of rough times out there. Having your health is a true blessing.

Mark 10:27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Prayers for your friend Jim for complete healing.

critter,

Cancer does suck. Lost my mom ten years ago and have watched my dad deal with it for the last nine months (he's at Mayo now prepping for a bone marrow transplant which should start in the next week).

I will pray that your friend Jim enjoys the same type of unexplainable grace that our friend Lyle has recieved. 9 years ago Lyle was diagnosed with a brain tumor and the docs measured his life expectancy in weeks. He's still going relatively strong. A little wobbly but has been able to enjoy the birth of grandkids and far more holidays that anyone expected. Lyle is a great reminder to me that in the face of the grimmest of news that nothing is certain and even the longest odds are occasionally overcome.

Since I own a billboard company, I figured I could help and donated the full cost of their billboard display for a few months. If anyone wants to put a team together for that tournament, all the information is on the billboard just east of the Belgrade Exit. I believe its April 13th. Cancer shouldn't happen to anyone but certainly not to KIDS!

Another reason my wife and I are proud supporters of St.Judes.......

Critter - Can a company sponsor a team for that tournament? Seems we have enough Hunt Talkers in the valley that we could have the OYOA/Hunt Talk team. I would provide the shirts and some money for a cause like that.

Just need more details of how to put a team together.

Utah400 - Hang tough buddy. A positive attitude, as hard as that is to muster in times like this, is as effective as the treatment itself. We're all on your side.

Most certainly prayers will be sent...also to Utah400. I hope for the best outcomes for both parties.

Critter, you seem like a good guy with a solid heart. There is a reason the good Lord puts you in these people's lives. Keep up the great work!

With that said, I'd be more than happy/proud to travel down to Bozo to play on the OYOA/Hunt Talk team. What a GREAT cause!

Thanks for the thoughts and prayer. I am sure I won't be ready for dodge ball by April 13th but I will pony up some cash for that effort.

Horrible news, Matt.

My family just went through this, and I found no silver lining. The only way to describe it is devastating.

My thoughts are with you guys and his family.

Good luck Utah400, they can do amazing things when they catch it early.

Matt,

Thoughts and prayers sent to Jim, his family, you, and your family.

Utah400, if you want someone to talk to, PM me. Been there, done that 14 years ago.

Yes, it does SUCK!
Our prayers go out to anybody dealing with this. It has taken it toll on my family also, but we are trying to do something about it. Unfortunately if sequestration happens it will slow the rate of finding cures for catastrophic illnesses such as cancer. My wife is a volunteer for NBTS and sent the following to our Senators and Congressmen. Sorry, kind of a long read though.

As a volunteer with the National Brain Tumor Society, I'm writing to ask you to take action to stop sequestration. We need you to protect and prioritize the critical funding provided by the National Institutes of Health and the determination of safe and effective therapies by the Food and Drug Administration. We need cures not cuts! As a community fighting a disease with only a 34% five-year survival rate and just four new therapies in the past thirty years, progress has been inadequate and slow. Brain tumors can strike anyone at any stage of life - children and adults. There is no way to prevent a brain tumor. We need scientific discoveries that will lead to new therapies. Just two years ago, Congress invested in a breakthrough discovery. Funding provided to the NIH enabled The Cancer Genome Atlas to identify four new subtypes of glioblastoma multiforme, one of the most common and deadliest forms of brain cancer. With this information and the breakthroughs happening in NIH-funded labs all over the country, we are getting closer every day to truly understanding this disease and how to conquer it. Cuts, like those NIH and FDA will see from sequestration, could stifle innovation and undermine previous investment for years to come. We cannot afford further cuts. My daughter Andrea was diagnosed almost 5 years ago with a brain tumor - anaplastic astrocytoma and there is no cure. The survival rate is about 2 years for this cancer. Andrea had surgery, radiation, and 2 years of chemo. If the tumor grows, she won't be able to have radiation on her brain again. So her survival may depend on new treatments. Please ensure that the innovative brain tumor research funded through the federal budget is protected going forward. Thank you for considering my views

Critter - Can a company sponsor a team for that tournament? Seems we have enough Hunt Talkers in the valley that we could have the OYOA/Hunt Talk team. I would provide the shirts and some money for a cause like that.

Just need more details of how to put a team together.

I was thinking to do the same thing! I have a trip planned out of town that weekend but I can get the details for a team......will get back to you.

Life changes so fast. I just lost my friend who helped me get my first deer. This reminds me to stop putting off getting together with old friends I haven't seen in years.

Saw an intereresting segment on the news yesterday. A study just completed with I believe 400 men over quite a few years time indicated men who exercise had a 50% less rate of prostate cancer during the test period. They did not mention the amount of exercise that I heard. Thought I would mention this as most men eventually will contract prostate cancer. It took my dad's life so this was of particular interest to me. I have included high level exercise my entire life. I expect most guys on this site do too if they hunt the mountains. 50% is certainly an attention getting figure.

Back