Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Broadheads for Elk?

Broadheads for elk

I Shot a two blade Bear Razorhead for years. When they quit making it I switched to a G5 Striker . Three years ago I went to the Striker Mag. It cuts a huge hole. Its 1 1/2 wide. and flys just like my field points do.

In regards to the slick tricks. Tuning any different that a regular 3 blade since the tricks have 4 and normally we go with 3 vanes? Might be a dumb question but I have never shot a 4 blade broadhead before.

Don't worry about it. Tuning for broadheads has nothing to do with the number of blades versus vanes. You need to make sure the arrow (properly spined) is coming out of the bow straight and your form is good. Do that and most any quality head will fly with field points. I like to paper tune for a bullet hole, then broadhead tune. Most of the time, with a bullethole through paper, its screw on and shoot. If I do need to make rest adjustments, they are VERY small.

Don't worry about it. Tuning for broadheads has nothing to do with the number of blades versus vanes. You need to make sure the arrow (properly spined) is coming out of the bow straight and your form is good. Do that and most any quality head will fly with field points. I like to paper tune for a bullet hole, then broadhead tune. Most of the time, with a bullethole through paper, its screw on and shoot. If I do need to make rest adjustments, they are VERY small.

I agree with what he said. As long as your bow is tuned and have a proper spine they should group in the same spot and as tight as your field points.

Yes, I am very much a fan of paper tuning your bow. Already past that point right now, barring a large change IE from 100 to 125 grain or arrow change I may start over again. It is not too much work and I know it may not be necessary, however, I always start from scratch. I am leaning towards the G-5 strikers or the Shuttle T's. I am currently on Ebay looking at some. We shall see, I am hoping to get one set off each on the cheap and whichever ones I don't choose I will put on here for a discount on what I get them for.

A-Con, appreciate the write up, I enjoyed reading that.

Just an FYI for those that use G5 striker broadheads. They are selling on ebay for under $30 a pack of 3. Best deals I could find for them.

If they are the double washer ones, be sure to spin test before shooting. I liked the single brass washer ones better but understand why they switched, so the brass wouldn't get dented when shot. Unfortunately, they created another problem in the process of solving one. Not a big deal, just be sure to spin test.

Broadheads for elk

I have been getting my Striker Mag Broadheads for about $25 a pack off ebay. My local shop had some left over after last hunting season. I bought he's last 5 packs for $25 with no shipping.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,285
Ok so under 30 is ok. Also looking at the new Rage broadheads now that I have done some more research. We shall see. Will surely let people know. I hate that it needs to be such a difficult decision. Going to shoot Shuttle T's, G5 Strikers, and Rage chisel points and or extremes. Will let you know what I think.

I would stay away from the Rage's. I have heard way way way too many stories of those things opening up in flight sending the arrow into parts unknown. Also heard way way way too many stories of the Rage's either not opening up or failing to open up all the way. Also they don't do well on quartering shots. If you want to go the mechanical route there are way better heads out there. If you go online to the Swhacker website they have a deal going until June 30th that if you buy one pack you get a second pack for free. So basically you get 6 broadheads for $34. They are based out of AZ so are made for elk in mind. Also the Grim Reapers are another good mechanical head that is based out of UT and designed with elk in mind. Also both of those heads you can take quartering shots with no problem. Also made of steel. Elk is hard enough without having to worry about whether your broadhead will work.

Oh I have the Rage's 2 blade and the blades constantly come open while in my quiver or when pulling them out. One time while it was sitting in my rest a blade popped open. After that I stopped taking them out and went with my tried and true Slick Tricks.

I have had the same issue with the Rage broadheads. I have head good things about the new set up on the extremes so I will take a look at those. However, I am very likely going to use a fixed blade broadhead. The other things that is keeping me away from rage is that if you go to their website they have one elk posted in the first 3 or 4 pages of their animals. Obviously they are not popular on hunting elk.

I used Montecs for many years. After much research, I found an interesting article by a physician regarding their cut and wound making abilities-or lack thereof. If you can find it, its very imformative. I loved the toughness and flight of the Montec's and was reluctant to change. I did notice they were fairly dull and hard to sharpen (I have heard that since then G-5 has addressed this). A few years back, I changed to the Shuttle T and love them. Still tough, fly even better and my blood trails are much much better. Solid company and and have no complaints.

Attachments

• IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 647
Huntbux if you have heard bad things about Rage's and notice that no one uses them on elk there is a reason why. So why would you want to risk them on an elk? If anything give them a few years to see if they fixed the new ones so they work well. There is too many good broadheads out there to risk using one that is so so at best.

I agree, which is why I have purchased a couple new different types of broadheads. I will be testing out the Rage Extreme's, Shuttle T's, and G5 Striker's. If none of these suit my fancy I may try the NAP broadheads, maybe the Bloodrunner or something. I am hoping that I like the G5 or Shuttle T's. We shall see, the first 3 listed are on the way. As far as the Rage are concerned, through experience I have never, in my life seen a wound channel or devastation like the Rage 2 blade causes on impact to a Mule Deer.

Huntbux if you have heard bad things about Rage's and notice that no one uses them on elk there is a reason why. So why would you want to risk them on an elk? If anything give them a few years to see if they fixed the new ones so they work well. There is too many good broadheads out there to risk using one that is so so at best.

The Shuttle T and G5 Stryker are both great heads. I don't think either one will dissapoint you. I think your challenge will be deciding which one is best (good news is they are both great heads)

Yes the Rage makes a big entry hole but have you seen what happens to the blades when they hit a rib bone or God forbid a shoulder blade?

After shopping around, I really want to try out the Atom Broadhead. Anybody on here shot them yet?

I currently have Rage Extremes, G5 Strikers, and Shuttle T's. Not sure if I will change from any of those. BTW just of note Rage changed their design on the O-ring that seats the broad head should clear up a lot of their problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back