Broadheads for Elk?

huntbux

I currently use Rage 2 blade broadheads. However, I have to say that I am not happy with some things about them for hunting out west. While hiking the blades fall open or while knocked and sitting in the rest while you are closing the distance the blades will slip open causing the issue of having to place them back in to place while having the animal so close etc. I am looking for what people think the best broadhead is for hunting elk and if they think fixed blade or expandable are better. I know this is a topic that can be discussed for a long time and has many sides.
I am currently looking at switching to G5 or Muzzy and am leaning towards Muzzy fixed blades.
What are you thoughts? Thanks for all info as well.
Good luck to all this hunting season.

In my humble opinion I like the fixed blade style broadhead. And in Oregon where I live expandables are illegal. I used NAP Hellrazors last season, they are lethal and fly great if your bow is tuned properly, but the open cut out blade generates quite a bit of flight noise. Muzzy 4 blades fly better for me than the 3 blade set up and are quiet. My hunting buddy shoots Shuttle T's and swears by them, he has killed a bunch of deer with them, but I havent seen them stand up to elk yet. If you like the "you assemble" type Muzzy I would look at Innerlocs too. They seem to be a bit stronger than the Muzzys, but that strictly form a "looks" opinion.

I shoot G5 Montecs and they are awesome.shot a bunch of big stuff in Africa last week and nothing made it very far

I shoot G5 Montecs and they are awesome.shot a bunch of big stuff in Africa last week and nothing made it very far

Cant argue with that. I keep telling myself that i'm going to buy some Montecs and see if they fly better than my Mx3's. I just haven't done it yet.

I have shot Muzzys for about 15yrs. on western big game including several elk as well as black bear, caribou and African plains game. I've come away with a few bent blades from hitting off-side shoulder blades and leg bones, but by then the critters were dead on their feet.

I'm from the school of, "If it works, don't change it." The price is nice on the Muzzys as well.

I'll add that I only have 5 pins on my sight. The seven pin guys shooting at very long ranges seem to prefer smaller heads or expandables.

I shoot the 100 gr. Thunderheads. I have never had an issue with them and can routinely, on targets, shoot 80 yards.

Used G5 Strikers for years, killed several elk and perform great. Highly recommend them. Using Shuttle T's this year for elk and moose only to try something new. Any quality head mentioned above will do the trick. Good luck in your search, let us know what you go with.

Slick Tricks here also. My opinion is to shoot the heaviest setup possible. Momentum is more important than speed.

Started with Muzzy, played around with expandables and didn't like any of them, when to Montecs, then to Hellrazors and didn't really like them either. I'm now using Slick Trick standard 125g heads & am very happy with them.

Muzzy's are good for the price, but if you're anal about quality you'll end up throwing one out of 3 or 4 in the trash because they aren't made consistently straight/true/square.

VPA 3 blade. Same basic design as a Montec, but built WAY better. Fully machined out of a solid block of tool steel. Montecs are cast pot metal. In my experience VPAs are much stronger and easier to sharpen.

Most everyone I know that likes Montecs has switched to VPAs once they check one out.

I buy thunderheads from walmart. After target shooting I like to change the blades and put on razor sharp new blades without totally removing the broad heads from the shaft. That way when I tighten them up the blades align into the same position as when I was target shooting.

VPA 3 blade. Same basic design as a Montec, but built WAY better. Fully machined out of a solid block of tool steel. Montecs are cast pot metal. In my experience VPAs are much stronger and easier to sharpen.

Most everyone I know that likes Montecs has switched to VPAs once they check one out.

VPA has a price tag of a Rage. Got anywhere the pricing may be better.

Thanks for all the info guys. Dont have a decision made yet. Still looking and searching. Found some good deals on Ebay so I am looking on there as well as anywhere else I can get a deal. Keep the info coming there can never be too much.

I've had great luck with the Grim Reapers on deer, elk and an antelope. The damage they do is unreal. My buddy switched to them this year and couldn't believe it was an arrow. He was worried if a Warden stopped him they would think he shot it with a rifle.

Huntbux the head does the killing , last place you want to try to save money. The difference between the high end and cheap heads is about the cost of 2 gallons of gas. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back