Caribou Gear

Another Idaho Goat tag holder

Congrats Ron. Going solo is bad ass, especially up where these things tend to die.

With the help of my friend Matt, I filled my tag last Sat with a 10.5 year old Billy and watched him cartwheel 250yds and break off 1/2 of one horn and the tip off the other. Made me sick, but the real trophy on these animals is not their head gear. Mature Billys have such amazing body structures, unlike any other ungulate...more like a bulldog. These are amazing critters that live in places that typically scare the hell out of you when you really enter their domain. They seem afraid of nothing, cliffs or critters. Mine took 3 solid hits in the chest and never so much as flinched, stumbled, or even limped as he walked 20 yards to bed up, before deciding to take his tumble.

When I walked up to check on my dead goat at 7:15pm, some loose rocks decided to follow him down the mountain, 15 min later. They were the size of footballs and basketballs and when they bounced on the loose rocks they were kind of hard to know which way to go to avoid them:eek:!

I watched my goat for 6 weeks and when it was done I felt relieved, a little sad, and angry at the tumble. When I realized his age and knew he only had maybe one more winter in him, I felt better. Now I need to find the right Taxi to do this old warrior justice. Definitely my most memorable season to date.

PS The night I killed this, we were sleeping in our individual tents by the river and had bulls bugling 100 yds on either side of us. All of a sudden a wolf is howling on one side and one bull behind us is so amped up in decides to bugle back at the wolf. I'm comfortable with my rifle, while Matt is cussing at the bull to shut up so the wolf doesn't decide to job through our camp to find him. Very funny.

Attachments

• Goat down.jpg
    Goat down.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 315
  • Matt and Goat.jpg
    Matt and Goat.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 340
Thats a nice Billy Goat! You got the full adventure out of that hunt for sure.

Watching them roll down the mountain is nerve racking and you would think their horns are a lot stronger then that. My taxi said repairing broken horns is pretty common with Goats and it wasn't much extra to repair the tip on mine.

If Matt had his goats with him, I bet he was $h#ing bricks with those wolves that close to camp :)

He was shittin bricks because he was unarmed, probably would have been happy to sacrifice one so he could get some sleep.

I asked him not to bring them as I was concerned we were too close to Bighorn country and didn't want to chance bringing in disease. I ended up carry some of his camp in on my TW200, which I then dumped in the river on a crossing, so he got to see how well his new synthetic bag worked....I am a great hunting buddy!

Back