Almost time - Are you ready?

Lol no arguing that!
Oh really? He’s got freeze dried food indicative of a hike in where weight is of concern. So from a pure alcohol content, it’s ok. Which is to say 45% is a good start where weight is a concern. Taste is lacking complexity and notes are flat. From a pure taste POV, Ten High beats Woodford. I know it’s blasphemous to utter such things, but I stand by it.

Anyway, my preference for a woods whiskey would be a high rye think Dickel Rye, Wild Turkey 101. That Whistle Pig is wildly overpriced and a blindfolded man would have difficulty explaining the difference between that and Bulleit Rye. You know why? Tell you what, it’s all MGP coming out of South Indiana. Kentucky gets all the credit and any Kentuckian worth a shit would fight me on honor disgraced. Yet when we look behind the curtain and see the truth, that same gentleman would blank stare pause like he’s at a presser. Many of our vaunted whiskeys carry some Kentucky stamp, lineage, but factually are blended from sources near and far all over the country. You think Indiana and what, corn? I-90 taking you somewhere else? I don’t know or care either, yet I do know Indiana deserves credit for the base rye for many of our dearly beloved ryes today.
Blending is fine and good, most of us who do drink whiskey wouldn’t turn down a glass of Johnny Blue now would we? Blended. Yet there is something pure, raw, rooted in whiskey coming out of a pot still.

This brings me to another brand I discovered couple years back called Balcones. These bastards are the real deal and they definitely aren’t driven by shareholders. No, Balcones is purist in their pot still techniques and mischievous in their specialty runs. Back to rye, Balcones makes a 100 proof pure rye that will impress anyone who likes rye. My opinion is that it’s like licking smoked leather with a twist and a dry brandy aftertaste. Like mowing your lawn in your boxers. It ain’t right, yet feels so good. Only thing beats that rye is the Balcones cask strength rye coming in 60%. Consider the 100 proof IMAX and their cask strength rye OMNIMAX. It’s like either are fun and the 100 proof wins the pricepoint. But if you’ve ever been to an OMNIMAX, then you know. You said there’s no arguing about Woodford and no, no, I object. And with that, welcome to HT!

Last edited:
Oh really? He’s got freeze dried food indicative of a hike in where weight is of concern. So from a pure alcohol content, it’s ok. Which is to say 45% is a good start where weight is a concern. Taste is lacking complexity and notes are flat. From a pure taste POV, Ten High beats Woodford. I know it’s blasphemous to utter such things, but I stand by it.

Anyway, my preference for a woods whiskey would be a high rye think Dickel Rye, Wild Turkey 101. That Whistle Pig is wildly overpriced and a blindfolded man would have difficulty explaining the difference between that and Bulleit Rye. You know why? Tell you what, it’s all MGP coming out of South Indiana. Kentucky gets all the credit and any Kentuckian worth a shit would fight me on honor disgraced. Yet when we look behind the curtain and see the truth, that same gentleman would blank stare pause like he’s at a presser. Many of our vaunted whiskeys carry some Kentucky stamp, lineage, but factually are blended from sources near and far all over the country. You think Indiana and what, corn? I-90 taking you somewhere else? I don’t know or care either, yet I do know Indiana deserves credit for the base rye for many of our dearly beloved ryes today.
Blending is fine and good, most of us who do drink whiskey wouldn’t turn down a glass of Johnny Blue now would we? Blended. Yet there is something pure, raw, rooted in whiskey coming out of a pot still.

This brings me to another brand I discovered couple years back called Balcones. These bastards are the real deal and they definitely aren’t driven by shareholders. No, Balcones is purist in their pot still techniques and mischievous in their specialty runs. Back to rye, Balcones makes a 100 proof pure rye that will impress anyone who likes rye. My opinion is that it’s like licking smoked leather with a twist and a dry brandy aftertaste. Like mowing your lawn in your boxers. It ain’t right, yet feels so good. Only thing beats that rye is the Balcones cask strength rye coming in 60%. Consider the 100 proof IMAX and their cask strength rye OMNIMAX. It’s like either are fun and the 100 proof wins the pricepoint. But if you’ve ever been to an OMNIMAX, then you know. You said there’s no arguing about Woodford and no, no, I object. And with that, welcome to HT!
Sounds like a real elkoholic!

Packing has commenced. A few last minute amazon prime orders went in last night. T-minus 7 days

Ben from Santa Fe

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back