WY GEN Regions

jvanhoy

Getting ready for App season. What’s your guess on how many points for each 3 regions for the NR general tag. I’m going in at 5 points for the Southern region regular draw. Fingers crossed.

Seems to be less gen elk non resident tags unless I’m confused. 5,000? It used to be 7k and some change.

Yea I’m coming up with 4325. Can’t find draw odds for last year.

I could be mistaken, but pretty sure the number is still 7250 and change, but it’s a balance between full limited and general tags for NR. So after April, I believe the exact split will be finalized.

Could be wrong though

Found last year and looks like they issued 3500 so actually may be better odds this year with the splits.
Edit I actually was looking at 2022 but looks like last year’s numbers were similar. 3419

Last edited:
I could be mistaken, but pretty sure the number is still 7250 and change, but it’s a balance between full limited and general tags for NR. So after April, I believe the exact split will be finalized.

Could be wrong though
The cap was removed so that G&F can make changes to the general seasons tag allocations. I don’t know what the new cap is for 2024, or that there will be such a thing, really.

See item 10.

Could be wrong though
7250 cap is gone, general will be 500 eastern region, 1050 southern, 2775 western for total of 4350, those numbers are set for this season but could change in future seasons. Limited quota NR numbers will be 16% of total LQ tags, those numbers will be finalized in the spring.

7250 cap is gone, general will be 500 eastern region, 1050 southern, 2775 western for total of 4350, those numbers are set for this season but could change in future seasons. Limited quota NR numbers will be 16% of total LQ tags, those numbers will be finalized in the spring.
Edit, 4350 general number is also proposed, to be finalized in April

The Nr Elk Region quotas are now part of the Chapter 44 regs and were signed off in July. No idea if they will address them at the season setting meeting but I don't recall them ever discussing that Chapter there.

The Nr Elk Region quotas are now part of the Chapter 44 regs and were signed off in July. No idea if they will address them at the season setting meeting but I don't recall them ever discussing that Chapter there.
Best I can understand ch 44 in July established the regions and the proposed quotas, but final numbers will be set in April. Latest email from today:

In July 2023 the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission approved changes to Ch. 44, Regulation for Issuance of Licenses, Permits, Stamps, Tags, Preference Points and Competitive Raffle Chance. The approved changes established three nonresident region general elk hunt areas and general elk license quotas.

The nonresident elk application deadline is Jan. 31.

Nonresident general elk license quotas

The quotas below are proposals subject to Commission approval during the season-setting process in April 2024:

Nonresident general elk regions​
Elk Hunt Areas
Proposed quotas
Eastern2, 3, 6, 116, 126, 129500
Southern9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 21, 105-107, 110, 1301,050
Western28, 36, 37, 56, 59, 60, 65-71,73, 77, 78, 80-87, 89-92, 94, 96-98, 102-104, 127, 1282,775

Going to be very interesting to see the odds for next year. My son and I will be trying our luck again for WY elk, and will apply for the western region. I had thought the general tag quota would be higher than previous years but the proposed quotes look lower.

it appears to me that it may get harder as a non res to draw,,that along with the crazy "special" price chang is gonna probly really increase the "regular" draw point creep.

I hate to say this, but I bet the special stays around 5-6 points, and the regular draw goes to 7-8 points for the western and over 8 for the southern. I’m thankful WY cut nonresident tags, and I wish MT would follow suit.

Second guess is that less than 10% of nonresidents will harvest any elk, let alone a mature bull, unless they go with an outfitter or have Bow Beaty with his llama camp. A majority of the harvest will continue to be by local residents, like 80% of the elk, harvested by 20% of the hunters.

Hunting WY will most likely be a once in a lifetime opportunity for most nonresidents from this point going forward, until we have a serious financial/energy crisis. And the rich will be hunting there then.

Eastern-7 reg
Southern-7 reg
Western—3 reg

That’s my guess.
Actually, the wtg avg on that is 4.4pts. Seems low. Western has to be higher IMO, but I assume that is the "bear" effect?. Also, not sure why the East general would be so high.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back