WY GEN Regions

Published quotas are higher than last year but in reality pretty close when you add in the quota balance tags they would add after the main draw, which has been roughly 300 going to the special gen. Those QB tags are no longer needed now that the 7250 is gone.

I think what we are seeing is the law of the internet. The crazier the comment (guess, in this case) the more you can stand out.
The higher point guesses have to assume that a larger number of applicants with 6 or 7 or 8 points decide that NOW is the time to draw that General tag despite being at a point level to draw it with 100% certainty for the past 5 years. That is illogical. It would be funny if it happens, but probably not a reasonable assumption.

Looking at the data I have, there are some 170,000 point holders, about 60% of them are going to have less than 4pts going into 2024 draw . Most of the general tags applicants are going to be clustered in the 4-6pt grouping. I think everyone assumes that the price hike in the Special will cause applicants in that pool to drop while increasing those in the Regular. If we assumed that everyone in the Special draw jumps to the Regular draw and use 2023 results, we "only" jump about 1.5pts. Crazy stuff happens all the time, but if I was to bet on something crazy and unexpected, it might be that Special applications actually increase.

East 2
South 4
West 7

I will say it seams crazy how many people buy points and have no idea what has changed in the general areas and how it will effect the draw. Looking at that maybe not much changes and the perceived supply of the east tags being lower might cause some guys to burn way to many points over there.

Last edited:
East 2
South 4
West 7

I will say it seams crazy how many people buy points and have no idea what has changed in the general areas and how it will effect the draw. Looking at that maybe not much changes and the perceived supply of the east tags being lower might cause some guys to burn way to many points over there.
Equally crazy, there were 3,000 NR with 15-17pts going into the 2023 draw. WTF are they waiting on, a written invitation from the Almighty? People are definitely weird.

Equally crazy, there were 3,000 NR with 15-17pts going into the 2023 draw. WTF are they waiting on, a written invitation from the Almighty? People are definitely weird.
Yup and maybe that's the silver lining for everyone trying to get a tag some may never jump In and then some buy points for a few years then give up and drop out.

Either way the numbers going into the 2024 draw look bad but obviously everyone won't jump in. There will be alot of speculation until may. What worries me most is the new point buyers over the last couple years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231220_094457_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20231220_094457_Samsung Notes.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 42
Yup and maybe that's the silver lining for everyone trying to get a tag some may never jump In and then some buy points for a few years then give up and drop out.

Either way the numbers going into the 2024 draw look bad but obviously everyone won't jump in. There will be alot of speculation until may. What worries me most is the new point buyers over the last couple years.
Just saw those numbers, myself. The good news is that the number of point buyers jumping in the pool has decreased from last year, from 42,191 to 37,442. That is pretty significant. In another decade someone might be able to take advantage of the opportunity.

glad i drew the general in 2023,,though i didnt harvest a big bull the expierience was there.now that im zeroed out this year,what would be the best region to try for a random in??i might just sit on it and watch how it goes,, wonder if i should even buy a point in july and jump back in,or just give up now on elk.im thinkin western region with the most tag numbers for a random?

Hunting partner and I have 6. Won't be using them for awhile. Other hunts are just falling into place. Will probably use them around 8-9pt range thr way its looking. My brother and nephew have 5 each so will be averaging with them after we draw hopefully.

Back