Caribou Gear

Alaska Moose Hunt

mhungerford

I am looking for some info on a moose hunt in Alaska, myself and a few friends are looking to do a float/hunt for moose in unit 23... if anyone has some info on this it would be great to hear it.
thanks

I have nothing specific regarding unit 23. However, if you are going to ask for help, it is best to be as specific as possible. 23 is a big unit. Are you thinking of floating the noatak, the kobuk, the selawik, the buckland, etc etc etc. Registration or Draw? How many people? Looking for just moose or trying to maybe tag a caribou as well?. Then someone with more specific experience might actually be able to help you. The Kotzebue area is typical Alaska with the land being seriously divided among owners and without specifics how can anyone actually expect to help you? I understand the mentality that keeps everything so mysterious, and you don't want to share your plans over the net.. but you have to help us help you.

I strongly recommend you buy the books, "Float Hunting Alaskas Wild Rivers authored by Michael Strahan
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=400
as well as A complete Guide to Float Hunting Alaska written by Larry Bartlett
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=5

those will help you get started.

Also as a side note, why is this in the deer forum?? :confused: There is a moose forum.

Last edited:
Also as a side note, why is this in the deer forum?? :confused: There is a moose forum.

Some people feel more comfortable in the deer forum. When I have questions this is my go to forum.

I'm just glad this isn't one of those websites that moves everything around.

Brian M would of had this in the right forum within .30 secs of it being posted....

Go to this site.... www.pristineventures.com and hunt down Larry Bartlett. Tell him Jim Urban sent you. He may cut you a deal or he may charge you more ;-) He specializes in hunt planners and has published a number of books on float hunting for moose. I know him on a personal level, but can't speak to the quality of service he provides specifically, but everything I have ever heard from his clients has been positive to the tenth degree. He also provides an outfitting service. Good luck.

Last edited:
Some people feel more comfortable in the deer forum. When I have questions this is my go to forum.

I'm just glad this isn't one of those websites that moves everything around.

Brian M would of had this in the right forum within .30 secs of it being posted....

You shush. Or the internet gods of moving shit around will be here stat.

PS. Lynx pics or it didn't happen. :D

okay here is what the others in my group want to do not sure where all this is located but here goes, they want to use 40 mile air and do a float hunt... here is the info they gave me.

Charlie River to the Yukon River
A bit more of challenge due to lower water levels by hunting season, this float goes into a strip called 3-Finger Charlie at the confluence of the river. Most parties will want to float a few days before they begin hunting, in other words, DO NOT HUNT for the first 10 miles. Water levels can drop fast so you really need to be aware to avoid having to drag your raft. Staying very light is one of the keys to successfully hunting this river. A section called the Rock Garden, just below the Galvin’s Strip, can pose some problems. The NPS in Eagle likes to know all the parties we put on the river and like to know when you are off the river and your success.

You are allowed a payload of 750# for $1295.00 per trip. Some parties will choose to position a vehicle in Circle City so they can drive back to Fairbanks and then come to Tok to pick up their other vehicle. An additional trip from 3 Finger Charlie to Circle City to pick up the rest of the party runs an additional $1295.00 for a 750# payload. If your party chooses for 40-Mile Air to pick you up at Circle City you’d be permitted a payload of 1000# for $1395.00 per trip to Tok. Three parties will be booked for this river, being put on the river one party per day.

now i dont have any clue what else is going to happen but if any of you know about this place let me know .

thanks

40 mile air is solid, a good reliable transporter. They fly into the fbo where I work all the time. You might pm WDH about his experience with 40 mile and that area. He may or may not be in a sharing mood. Most likely not... :p

As for the float, are you all first time floaters? Its sounds like this could turn into a nightmare (albeit a fun one) for first time floaters. Rookies and low water are one of those mixes that like to be avoided. Im not saying don't do it. Far from it. I would just hate for your alaskan experience to turn into a raft dragging extravaganza.

Floaters inherently pack too much shit. You would have to be extra cautious and aware of that fact with this float.

and BTW. Unit 23 is no where near the yukon-charlie and circle. Its on the other side of Alaska. You would be in 20/25,

thanks for the info and yes they decided to switch the area they wanted to try and hunt i have never floated on a hunt but do a ton of fly fishing from a drift boat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back