MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Going out moose hunting today

Akcabin

Yeppers finally get to fly out to our cabin today. Last time was a year n half on snogos hauling in freight gasoline generator n freezer. Haven't been moose hunting there for 3 years now because of injury. And I'm really chomping the bit.
I have to give a atta boy to the pilot we have used for a few years now. Dave Hicks with N2 Alaska. 907-616-1010. He is always flexible with flights and has always made time to come n get a down moose. He's a long time Alaskan and knows how important it is when a moose goes down. And his plane is always ready and in good shape.
I'll be going out by myself for a few days and then a buddy with a cub on floats is going to fly himself out. Actually he helped me stake this 20 acres 20 some years ago. And hasn't seen the place so that will be nice. And having a second hand dealing with moose is kinda handy too. Gotta go, fun n have

Yeppers finally get to fly out to our cabin today. Last time was a year n half on snogos hauling in freight gasoline generator n freezer. Haven't been moose hunting there for 3 years now because of injury. And I'm really chomping the bit.
I have to give a atta boy to the pilot we have used for a few years now. Dave Hicks with N2 Alaska. 907-616-1010. He is always flexible with flights and has always made time to come n get a down moose. He's a long time Alaskan and knows how important it is when a moose goes down. And his plane is always ready and in good shape.
I'll be going out by myself for a few days and then a buddy with a cub on floats is going to fly himself out. Actually he helped me stake this 20 acres 20 some years ago. And hasn't seen the place so that will be nice. And having a second hand dealing with moose is kinda handy too. Gotta go, fun n have
Good luck!

That sounds like a hell of a good time! Happy hunting! I look forward to a picture of the moose you get.

Thanks for the support folks. I needed some yesterday. My plans were way over what I should have had. Hopefully a good omen, when we were unloading the plane the pilot heard a cow moose bellow. Kinda early but hormones flowing.
I was worried that bears would tear up the 6 wheeler stranded at the lake 3 years ago but pleasantly surprised that it was in almost perfect shape. A bear tore open the tarps above the gas tank and ate the key that was tied on with a rubber coated wire tie. And the spare had gotten ripped off somewhere. No key.
It's 2 miles to the cabin. I want to do some cabin work and install 200 TnG boards on the cieling upstairs. So brought a battery nail gun n nails. They didn't get far down the trail. My extra knives made it a bit further and the box of pilot bread n peanut butter a bit further. I did get my gun n backpack with essentials in it there. The bears didn't get into the cabin. Always a concern. Boy it sure looked good. Back home again. Got the fire going and dry clothes on. Boots were full of water. Sat down on the deck n almost fell asleep. So I moved in to the lazy boy. I made it.
Today's chores. Pull a 5' log around the yard to knock the 5' tall devil club, ferns n grass down. Then put up a tarp and unpack the 4 wheeler. It wasn't running correctly last time so gotten fix it hopefully. The bears did get into the 3 wheeler shed n ate the seat a bit. Flat tire so hopefully not punctured bad.
Hey. I know better than thinking that things will go perfect. And doing things remote complicates things. But I'm at home. I feel good and getting hydrated again. Looking forward to a great day. Sure started out perfectly. The stove made it all night. And I had me some fresh perked coffee ol school.
Time to throw the grounds out the door n grab another hot cup. A couple years ago I was here with my beautiful wife. We were having coffee and I threw the grounds out looked around the corner n harvested a beautiful black bear. Meat pole built n meat hanging by noon. Hopefully I can get the generator shed straightened up and mount the air conditioner and convert it to a cooler. And hopefully the new generator n freezer I freighted out a couple winters ago will work. Then if I'm blessed to harvest a big boy my ol broken up but feeling better body will be able to handle it myself. And if needed I can even break it down and freeze it. And not have to worry .
I did plan on getting oller and now it's paying back and hopefully be able to get my moose and just have some more fun just hanging at the cabin

Eh back from a week that has been one of the best weeks of my life. There is something about the bush that is healing. A buddy that helped me stake this land flew his piper cub out. He's a great woodsman so that really helps. We got a 6 n 4 wheeler running and plenty of firewood put up. And the generator shed turned into a walk in cooler.
Kinda like a big deal to me. With the way I'm set up now. A new 2500w generator and a small freezer/refrigerator. And machines with winches n pullies. I will be able to continue to get out into the bush for a while down the trail. My body is feeling better than ever along with my mind n soul. I was in a dark place for a while. I only wish more folks had the opportunity that I have been blessed to have. My buddy did get a long shot on a black bear. He first saw it while it was walking the trail to the cabin.
The flight out we saw 2 bear and 1 moose. There were a few swans spread about not as many as usual. We didn't even have spruce hens at the cabin. And there was no swans on mom's pond out front. It will be interesting to get more time out there and see how things change. This time of year the weather changes fast and summer turns to fall. The leaves fall and the moose get more active. So do the wolves n bears n birds. The forest smells of over ripened cranberries. There is a different feeling in the air.
Thanks to my family friends and the Good Lord. I will be able to continue to get out. Hunt moose wolves or bear. Trap lynx or wolves or beaver. Go out and find antler drops or forage chaga. The Martin eat the red squirrels or mice so they are helpers. And be comfortable. And capable as I age.
Hey folks, keep fighting the fight to keep special places open to the public. So more folks can have the opportunities that the bush provides. I know first hand how much it can heal me as a person. Something that modern medicine could never replace. The healing power of the bush.
Thanks for all your support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back