6 points in wyoming, unsure what to do

tom338

So going into the draw this season I have 6 points in Wyoming, my hunting partner has 3. So if we go together it a 4.5 average. But I'm 61 he's 35. I am looking at units and it seems the better units take lots more points or a hunt in the wilderness areas with a guide or a guided hunt period. I have been researching units in Wyoming for a couple years and nothing looks all that great with the points I now have. Is that thinking correct or am I missing something?? I am planning to hunt Montana again this year, just a general area, hope I get drawn. I don't have $$ to throw at a high price guided hunt right now either. Do you wait for another 5-8 years and build more points. Wish I didn't have this many points but have tried to do hunts in better units and point creep burnt me the last 3 seasons. Any suggestions that are reasonable?? Maybe just hunt myself with the points I have?

My friend and I are in a similar spot. He has 7 and I have 5, so 6 average. 6 + points puts you in some decent units and we are considering the "special" draw to increase our odds. In my research the gap between 6 and 4.5 is significant. You might be better off hunting by yourself.

One thing you could do is look at the 6 point units that have bull and cow tags available. So you put in for the bull which you will draw for sure and then your buddy tries to get cow tags. If you only had 1 more point :)

Last edited:
The one more point comment got a very good laugh out of me, but it sure is true!!

I would take MN's advice, try to get your buddy a cow tag for your area then you both hunt and he learns some things for a possible bull hunt later.
The cow/calf tag won't take his PP and is much cheaper if he draws it, or both put in for cows to get to know an area for a later hunt.
There are quite a few areas to be drawn with 6 PP and a general tag also fits in. Some LQ areas are probably no better than some general areas so pick some units then do a search for threads on hunting it. Access and animal movements in Oct. may be problems in some LQ areas. Grizz and wolves also come into play over on the western side.

maybe consider putting in for the same unit but separate - you with regular and him with special... Maybe you draw together, maybe you don't but if one draws the other can just come along and help and gain unit experience for their hunt or possibly even pick up a cow tag too if there are leftovers...

I really enjoy Wyoming, but I hate to see you burn points on some thing you truly don't want. I'm aware of your age but not your physical abilities but there are alot of states out there that an OTC archery tag can be as good as a sub par wyoming tag. I would do some research and look at what your average point would do in a couple years. Maybe see what the tag draw looks like after this year following the price tag increase. Just something to weigh on on for you.

Badger, for my age and being a flat lander I can sort of hold my own when it comes to physical ability. I packed out my elk this year with help from my partner, 6 miles one way. But was a small bull and we got it in one trip and had snow so we used a sled for a lot of it when we could. I have been looking at other states as well, Montana , Colorado Idaho and New Mexico.

I would echo the advice from MN Hunter and wytex. I would even suggest instead of getting a bull tag, you both get cow tags first for your prospective unit. I burned 7 points on a bull tag last year and if I could do it over again, I would get a cow tag first. I really feel like a guy kind of has his head up his ass the first few days or even week in a brand new unit. And I had done a summer scouting trip and tons of other research. I would feel dramatically more comfortable and confident if I drew that tag again after hunting there last year.

I think the advice given here is solid, but if you're REALLY wanting to ignore it and apply with your partner, see my PM.

So going into the draw this season I have 6 points in Wyoming, my hunting partner has 3. So if we go together it a 4.5 average. But I'm 61 he's 35. I am looking at units and it seems the better units take lots more points or a hunt in the wilderness areas with a guide or a guided hunt period. I have been researching units in Wyoming for a couple years and nothing looks all that great with the points I now have. Is that thinking correct or am I missing something?? I am planning to hunt Montana again this year, just a general area, hope I get drawn. I don't have $$ to throw at a high price guided hunt right now either. Do you wait for another 5-8 years and build more points. Wish I didn't have this many points but have tried to do hunts in better units and point creep burnt me the last 3 seasons. Any suggestions that are reasonable?? Maybe just hunt myself with the points I have?

Your 61 and debating on waiting 5-8 years? No way would I do that. You ain't going to live forever.

I would echo the advice from MN Hunter and wytex. I would even suggest instead of getting a bull tag, you both get cow tags first for your prospective unit. I burned 7 points on a bull tag last year and if I could do it over again, I would get a cow tag first. I really feel like a guy kind of has his head up his ass the first few days or even week in a brand new unit. And I had done a summer scouting trip and tons of other research. I would feel dramatically more comfortable and confident if I drew that tag again after hunting there last year.

Wow, ditto for us. We burned 9 points each. Scouting trip, Archery hunt and Rifle and we were not prepared for the hunt we were faced with during rifle. So many quads, side by sides and hunters. It was something we were unprepared for. I wish we had hunted on cow tags this year. We flat know the unit now and where to be. We passed on a 4X4 and a 4X5 and cows and I killed a cow the last day (Bull tags, deer tags and cow tags all being hunted concurrently). Hindsight the entire hunt...
Screw the age thing, I'm 70, follow your gut.

It been mentioned.. But I would get a cow calf tags this year... In a general unit that U two would like to hunt... Then Ur buddy with 3 points draws the gen type one.. And U could get another cow tag..The following year U both can draw with Ur points. Just a idea...

As simple as the advice of 'just get a cow/calve tag' sounds, the odds of acquiring these in WY is a challenge anymore.
I agree that it's a great way to learn a unit, but it's tough to draw anymore...

As simple as the advice of 'just get a cow/calve tag' sounds, the odds of acquiring these in WY is a challenge anymore.
I agree that it's a great way to learn a unit, but it's tough to draw anymore...

I have no idea how you can say that because if you look at the draw stats for the first draw and then look at the leftover draw there were a ton of units that had lots of tags and many even went to first come first serve after that second draw.

Perhaps I am missing something (I hope I am). You've helped me in the past.
I look at the non resident cow/calve type 6 tags and see that the first 20 units have more 1st choice apps than tags. Actually most of the unit do.
I look at the random non resident and see the same scenario 90% of units drawn out with many 1st choice apps being left out in the cold.
Please explain how the odds are better than what I am seeing. I'd like a tag. :)

Back