What has hunting become?

Biting my tongue, biting my tongue about this whole thread. All I can say is Huntman, if you kill one of the bucks in this video and he is over 200 inches now you better at least buy me a cheeseburger for giving you the coordinates. :)
https://vimeo.com/47347475

Elkdude--

You put out a 5K bounty on the biggest buck in MT, then backpedaled to say that you would only pay for access to private land-- telling us that by paying for access now, you were helping to encourage landowners to give it away for free in the future. That's as Orwellian-doublethink as it gets. If this is your idea of helping mule deer, please stop "helping."

Just got home from Idaho and read this whole thread. Now I gotta see if my wife saved the paper. Bad move Darren. mtmuley

Wow.

What an incredible lack of taste, tact, and intelligence.

It is truly incredible that you can come on here and try to defend your actions in the name of conservation. Buying access for an amount of money above the average hunters means does nothing for conservation and we all know it. It's a chance for you to brag about your pile of cash and what kind of buck it can buy you. Did you really need a newspaper ad? I can't believe that a good hunter could have that tag in his pocket and not have a clue about where or how to start looking on your own. More money than time, more money than brains.

Well here is the only thing a guy like you understands:

Darren I have been buying and shooting your ammo for a few years now, I have a few boxes in my stash right now. But now that ship has sailed.

Due to your poor taste and lack of forethought on this issue I am done buying your product forever.

I am choosing to "vote with my wallet" on this issue, your company will never see another red cent from me and I'll make sure all my friends and family know why.

Anyone else who wants to join me feel free, it's obvious that $$$ is the only thing Darren understands.

I've got a tip on a bloodline with some crazy non-typical genes.

Guaranteed to make a head-turning once in a lifetime mount.

What would something like this be worth?

Ben, tell us how Teddy influenced the lingerie industry.;)

NHY this is an area where your own rigorous study will benefit you greatly.

Simply search google images for "teddy lingerie".

Once you master the basics there you can step it up and add keywords such as "Scandinavian model", "pillow fight" etc.

There will be a pop quiz. :eek:

Wow.

What an incredible lack of taste, tact, and intelligence.

It is truly incredible that you can come on here and try to defend your actions in the name of conservation. Buying access for an amount of money above the average hunters means does nothing for conservation and we all know it. It's a chance for you to brag about your pile of cash and what kind of buck it can buy you. Did you really need a newspaper ad? I can't believe that a good hunter could have that tag in his pocket and not have a clue about where or how to start looking on your own. More money than time, more money than brains.

Well here is the only thing a guy like you understands:

Darren I have been buying and shooting your ammo for a few years now, I have a few boxes in my stash right now. But now that ship has sailed.

Due to your poor taste and lack of forethought on this issue I am done buying your product forever.

I am choosing to "vote with my wallet" on this issue, your company will never see another red cent from me and I'll make sure all my friends and family know why.

Anyone else who wants to join me feel free, it's obvious that $$$ is the only thing Darren understands.

Good post. I live a mile from this guys store and I can guarantee you I'll never step foot in there. I ate dinner in the cafe across the street from his store last night and had a good conversation with a handful of guys that we're laughing at his dumbass ad in the paper.

Darwinism at it's finest, this guys digging his own grave.

I don't know, maybe most his sales are online. He's pissing off a lot of Bitterrooters though.

Last edited:
I'm one Bitterrooter that's disgusted by the whole thing. Problem is, I bet there are a good number of of landowners here that would let Darren pop a swingset buck and smile as they slid 5k in their pocket. Darren knows money. How to make it and that people want it. Sad but true. mtmuley

I can't believe that a guy that lives in the Root with 2 of the top mule deer areas in the state would have to post a $5k bounty to find a buck. I've had decent luck getting permission in the root by knocking on doors, guess those days are over when people figure out those bucks are worth $5k...Going to make it real easy for the average hunter there.

I can't believe anybody in the Root will shoot these swingset bucks, then think they've done something. I bet if I dress as a seasonal pipe changer, I could damn near pet some of them. To each his own I guess. mtmuley

I can't believe anybody in the Root will shoot these swingset bucks, then think they've done something. I bet if I dress as a seasonal pipe changer, I could damn near pet some of them. To each his own I guess. mtmuley

Well Then I guess you better bag on anyone who has ever taken an elk or bison anywhere remotely close to YNP. BTW I suppose you don't apply for either MD unit in the root.

Hey wingman, it is what it is. On the Valley floor it's a shoot, not a hunt. Yeah, I apply for a Root mule deer unit. I've drawn too. So have a few of my buds. None of the bucks were killed on the Valley floor. I could show Darren a 200 inch buck. Would you feel good about the way you could kill one of these bucks? Like I said previous, to each his own. mtmuley

Hey wingman, it is what it is. On the Valley floor it's a shoot, not a hunt. Yeah, I apply for a Root mule deer unit. I've drawn too. So have a few of my buds. None of the bucks were killed on the Valley floor. I could show Darren a 200 inch buck. Would you feel good about the way you could kill one of these bucks? Like I said previous, to each his own. mtmuley

Is there anyway to tell a valley buck from a mountain buck? I 'spose they don't leave their playground during the rut?

I feel the same way when comparing a Montana bighorn "hunt" to an Alaskan sheep hunt.

Back