X Bar HMA (WY Late Season Cow)

jtm307

Has anyone seen/hunted elk on the X Bar HMA in the late season? I've hunted areas 6 (private land), 7, 8, & 98 for cows in the late season but still want to explore other areas before I settle on a perennial unit. Area 9 has my eye.

I used X Bar to access Sheep Mountain back in 08. It is pretty flat and I remember talking with someone that said it takes a lot of weather to move elk down there. In 11 I saw probably 100+ head of elk on the west side of Sheep Mountain below Centennial on private ground.

I'm out by the X Bar HMA pretty often and I haven't seen any elk out there. That doesn't mean they aren't there but I do see them in the Big Hollow area a little more north and east of there. They are probably passing through the x bar I just haven't ever caught them there. I believe the west side of Sheep holds a more consistent herd that can be located but that herd is frequently in areas that have no public access. The Forbes wma provides access on the west side but I believe WYGF closes it on January 1st. Good luck in your search for a good local late cow tag. I think I'm going to try for the late 7 tag this year.

I have never seen elk on the XBAR but haven't specifically hunted it in years. You would be more likely to see elk in the Centennial valley, where most go to winter. Little or no access in the valley unless you know a rancher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back