Things to think about when you buy a reduced price cow tag.

It is up to the landowner if they will "open the gate" even if they are enrolled in the HMA. Given the mild winter in my case many of the tracts that had roads which could have allowed us to get closer to the high country were closed. It's the landowners call. in this case , there was no elk coming into the private lands, so there was no incentive for the landowner to allow the public in. There were some tracts open but 50% were closed. That's how it goes...I gambled on a normal snow year and it bit me in the butt.
Which HMA did you have a permission slip for?

Which HMA did you have a permission slip for?
Probably not the best place to post publically but I am curious myself. It’s true that some HMAs will flip the light switch whenever they want, had it happen during turkey season.

How’d you even find out they wouldn’t let you in if you had a p-slip? Did they meet you at the gate?

Can you explain/expand on this:

"3) If there is not elk pressure on the private ground then the lands in the HMA s will not be open."

All of the HMAs I'm familiar with are open during the specified periods on the permission slip/ranch rules, regardless of whether elk are on them or not. Is this a specific clause/rule for certain HMAs?
HMA areas are open in WY from start to end of season unless otherwise stated. They don't close them if wildlife aint there. I've lived in WY since 07 and never heard of it.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back