Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Unit 40

asilberberg100

Based off of GoHunt draw odds it looks like I have enough points to draw a Type 9 unit 40 tag. As far as I can tell from my research it holds a decent amount of elk but everything I read is rugged, rugged, rugged. I don't mind putting some miles on the boots but it is a different story trying to pack a bull out alone in some of those hell hole canyons I'm seeing on GoogleEarth. Anybody been there or had this tag before? Thanks

Yeah just based off'n the stats I ruled 40 out for myself. When you're planning on packing out a bull by yourself you gotta steer clear of those units where it might kill you...I'm alright with a pack out half-killing me, just not all the way :)

If you want to bow hunt elk in a good area with plenty of animals, lots of public land at various elevations, and not many hunters, then I would certainly hunt 40 if I didn't have enough PPs to hunt in 45 that is normally considered the best in the Horns along with 38.

Yeah just based off'n the stats I ruled 40 out for myself. When you're planning on packing out a bull by yourself you gotta steer clear of those units where it might kill you...I'm alright with a pack out half-killing me, just not all the way :)

Not sure what stats you are referring to but Wyoming success rates are not accurate. Most years when I kill stuff I don't get a survey in the mail, and most years that I don't kill stuff I do.

If you want to bow hunt elk in a good area with plenty of animals, lots of public land at various elevations, and not many hunters, then I would certainly hunt 40 if I didn't have enough PPs to hunt in 45 that is normally considered the best in the Horns along with 38.

Topgun 30-06,
Any idea if it is worth looking into the lower elevation BLM land or should I be focusing up in the National Forrest? Any specific details via PM would be greatly appreciated.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back