Wyoming in September

plumber1969

Need some help here. We, myself and wife, will be hunting south central Wyoming next year for elk. We will be camping near camp sites and driving/walking in from there. We are expecting temps from the 30's-80's. What is a reasonable/durable tent that may also be used during the archery season of September or rifle season of October? We will not be there after October, my southern bones don't want none of that.

I bought a 10x14 kodiak flex bow canvas tent a couple years ago and love it. Made a couple antelope hunts in October in Wyoming and it with held the wind and weather perfectly. Just got back last week from a Wyoming deer hunt and again it did great with two of us in there. I like the idea of a wood stove for heat but I just used a 20 pound tank with a little burner top for heating tent and meals at night. Great tent.

X2 on the Kodiak. For as big of a tent it is it folds down quite small and doesn't weigh all that much. Mine has held up to Wyoming high winds, rain, and snow. I also heat mine with a propane ceramic heater. There is plenty of room for 2 cots and gear and a table between the cots.

I bought a 10x14 kodiak flex bow canvas tent a couple years ago and love it. Made a couple antelope hunts in October in Wyoming and it with held the wind and weather perfectly. Just got back last week from a Wyoming deer hunt and again it did great with two of us in there. I like the idea of a wood stove for heat but I just used a 20 pound tank with a little burner top for heating tent and meals at night. Great tent.
It would take me some digging to find, but on another forum a member converted a Kodiak tent to take a woodstove. It was a pretty darn slick setup. When I was in Utah I visited the Springbar Tents (which Kodiak is a sorta knock off of) brick and mortar to ask them in person about adding a stove jack and stove to one of their tents. The reply I got was we don't recommend that for our tents. Then, with a wink, but with a guyline on each corner it works pretty darn well...

I guess I have question about thieves. Leaving camp early and being gone all day has anyone had things stolen? Do I need to pack everything up short of our beds? Sorry if I seem inexperienced but when it comes to camping out west I am.

I've never worried about it. But I probably wouldn't leave any real spendy items laying around, like spare rifles, gps, phone, wallet, etc.

I've never worried about it. But I probably wouldn't leave any real spendy items laying around, like spare rifles, gps, phone, wallet, etc.

Thank you for the quick response. Wallet is mostly empty with 3 kids, 3 grandkids and me:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360inthe406
Back