Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming General or Limited quota?

My hunting partner and I are at a crossroads. He wants to hunt a limited quota area that takes about 4 points to draw a bull tag and in the off years hunt cows to learn the area. I was wanting to hunt a general area as we could draw a bull tag almost every year in the special draw and have more opportunity for bull hunting by learning the area. We are mainly bowhunters. So who has the better plan and what are the advantages for each area?

Sounds like they are both win-win situations. You would likely be hunting every year, regardless.

I like the idea of building points for an area - and hunting with reduced price cow/calf tags until you draw. Any elk is a trophy - esp. with a bow...they are better tasting too!

Building points and hunting cows is an excellent plan if you want a trophy elk.Me, I just like to hunt bulls and don't care of size so the general tag makes more sense to me.Knowing your hunt area is a necessity for when you draw that LE tag.you CAN get some really nice bulls off of general areas though.I had a 300"+ bull within 45 yards this archery but didn't offer a shot I was willing to take at that distance.To me, thats a nice bull,and it was on a heavily hunted public land spot
If i was in to hunting trophy elk in LE units,I'd buy cow tags till I drew the bull tag to know the area

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back