Caribou Gear

Wyoming general elk

dcopas78

I have been looking over some of the general areas in Wyoming, and this is one that I am interested in for a rifle elk hunt with Dad. In particular, I am interested in the Sheep Mt. area for the fact that I don't see any roads through that area and it looks like I could get back a few miles. I was just wandering if this may be a good place to check out. I will be out there in mid July and I plan on spending a day or so driving around and through the sierras and snowies looking at some other places, mainly just ways that I can access some of the areas I'm looking at on google earth and gpshuntfish.com. I like the looks of the Wyoming range as well but that additional drive would add a day that I could be scouting/hunting in the sierras/snowies. I wish I could get more boots on the ground time while I'm out there in July, but that is just not feasible. It's supposed to be a family vacation :rolleyes: We are hunting in 2015, got to get a few points first. I appreciate any info. Respond by PM if you want. Thanks in advance!
Derek

I grew up on the other side of the state and am really just getting to know a lot of the snowies but I will tell you because of the population of laramie and cheyenne and lack of other hunting areas the snowies get slammed with people. granted. Lots are just road hunters that never get out of the truck or side by side but there will be lots of competition. The other side of the state has Wyite a few options for guys to spread out a bit more. Good luck on your hunt

If I recall correctly, and this could have changed since I lived there, Sheep Mountain has rather limited access to it. The middle part of it does look pretty elky, but unless you have horses you may want to consider other options.

Maybe Buzz can chime in here.

Thanks JLS. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after doing some "measuring" on the maps. It would be a long haul to get in and to get out. Just FYI, there is a Forbes/Sheep Mountain wildlife management area that WGF here; http://wgfd.wyo.gov/accessto/whmas/forbes.asp Oh well, just thought it might be worth a gander when I'm out there later in the summer.

Thanks JLS. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after doing some "measuring" on the maps. It would be a long haul to get in and to get out. Just FYI, there is a Forbes/Sheep Mountain wildlife management area that WGF here; http://wgfd.wyo.gov/accessto/whmas/forbes.asp Oh well, just thought it might be worth a gander when I'm out there later in the summer.

Yes, that is the primary access I was thinking of. It seems as I recall there is also one on the north end, but I really can't remember.

Start looking for steeper areas away from roads (kind of a recurring theme around here eh?) and you can find good elk hunting in the Snowy Range.

Elk numbers have increased a lot since I lived there, so maybe Sheep Mountain might be a good bet during rifle season?

General elk

Get off the two tracks in the wy range and it's Gods country. Some hunters there too, but If you're up for a mountain hunt it'd be worth the drive in my book.

Get off the two tracks in the wy range and it's Gods country. Some hunters there too, but If you're up for a mountain hunt it'd be worth the drive in my book.

Substitute whatever traffic conduit for 'two tracks' in whatever area you hunt and SnowyMountaineer's comment will apply.

Whatever the venue, look at hunting pressure as a tool to use in your favor. Most of the elk won't jump on a UFO and disappear completely, they'll hole up in the nastiest, thickest terrain available - use that to your advantage. Works like a charm in OTC Colorado units, so I'm sure it'll work here too.

Thanks everyone. I'm by no means settled on an area yet. I started planning this last fall actually. I would be out there this fall, but between work and a new baby, it just wasn't plausible. All I can manage is the family vacation trip this year, and fortunately my wife agreed to come out there, as long as she gets Jackson and Yellowstone, I get a few days to explore some of the general units. It's probably best it isn't happening this fall anyways. It gives me plenty of time to study the maps and do my research.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back