Wyoming Elk Draw

No cow tag for me. Kinda bumming on it, especially considering I was more likely than not to draw.

I’ll do something cool this year, even if it’s just fishing in the mountains somewhere.

My son and myself have a plan to burn a decades worth of Wyoming points for elk,deer and pronghorn has started.we are going to alternate elk, he drew the LE unit with 10 points.next year hopefully I’ll draw so we get to hunt two years in a row with one man on the trigger. Then onto deer and pronghorn. We have hunted deer and elk in the past decade but with all the changes that might be coming in Wyoming it’s time to get busy and my age (64) 🤣🤣. Good luck and happy hunting to all this fall

Buddy is planning to pull a general tag south next year. He will have 5 points. I called to tell him that even 5 didn't guarantee, with a 92% chance this year. "Oh, well 92% is good odds, so I shouldn't have any trouble next year". I can't get him to understand point creep lol.

Very interesting to see the NR standard General draw odds, in the points part of the draw, almost identical across W, S and E.

With zero points I can't see me drawing another WY bull elk tag. But very happy with the 4 bull elk tags I have drawn.

Very interesting to see the NR standard General draw odds, in the points part of the draw, almost identical across W, S and E.

With zero points I can't see me drawing another WY bull elk tag. But very happy with the 4 bull elk tags I have drawn.
I wouldn't use the words "almost identical", but I get your point. They were all around the 5pt level because of the number of tags issued. I think it shows WY has a pretty good handle on where people hunt. (Note: Hopefully MT is taking notes.) You could look at the random pool and still get pretty good odds?

Buddy is planning to pull a general tag south next year. He will have 5 points. I called to tell him that even 5 didn't guarantee, with a 92% chance this year. "Oh, well 92% is good odds, so I shouldn't have any trouble next year". I can't get him to understand point creep lol.
I remember a lot of people said they would just buy points this year and see how this shakes out. I wouldn't assume this solves anything for those thinking about next year. The split between Reg and Special could easily change. I can see a lot of people with 2-3 points looking at those odds and saying the Special price is worth it. It is a big experiment with about 1/3 of the data going to psychology, 1/3 sociology, and 1/3 economics (with a sprinkle of evolutionary fear of grizzly bears, LOL).

I wouldn't use the words "almost identical", but I get your point. They were all around the 5pt level because of the number of tags issued. I think it shows WY has a pretty good handle on where people hunt. (Note: Hopefully MT is taking notes.) You could look at the random pool and still get pretty good odds?

I remember a lot of people said they would just buy points this year and see how this shakes out. I wouldn't assume this solves anything for those thinking about next year. The split between Reg and Special could easily change. I can see a lot of people with 2-3 points looking at those odds and saying the Special price is worth it. It is a big experiment with about 1/3 of the data going to psychology, 1/3 sociology, and 1/3 economics (with a sprinkle of evolutionary fear of grizzly bears, LOL).
Ok, probably not a proper statistical description but by my reading 5 points was 100%, 100% and 93% so pretty close :)

Good point about trying in the random pool, and may do this in future. Not that's its a big deal but when I apply I also get hit with $NZ - $US - $NZ exchanges so try and not apply in too many low odd applications with up front costs. My son and I have elk points in MT, AZ and CO so planning to hunt there over the next few years.

how many points does it now take this year for the regular general? glad i cashed in my 5 points last year,{even though i didnt harvest}it was fun to try a new area.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back