Wyoming Draw Results Today 6/12

Looks like there was a glitch with unit 7...as in about 1000 too many tags issued to residents. Total quota was approved by the commission at 1500 combined NR and R tags...they drew over 2200 resident tags alone. Key punch error with some huge consequences. I've been talking with a couple people about how this one will be "solved". I can only think of a few options...either let it stand and shoot up the elk, drop the last 1000 that drew and refund their money, or redraw 1200 from the 2200 that were successful. Its going to be ugly any way you slice it.

Not sure how the GF is going to handle that one, but I wouldnt count on that tag until it was in my hand.

Nothing like a "glitch" for a hard sought after tag...

I guess every G&F has their issues. Bummer for sure.

hardscrabble,

Theres going to be some serious whining, threats of lawsuits, and the sky is the limit...it wont matter how its handled.

I dont think they have a choice but to not issue tags to the last 1000 drawn...it will be a cluster-*^&$% in that unit with 2500 type 1 tags and also pretty tough on the bull elk. Many are already complaining of too few bulls.

I will say that in the 15 years I've applied in Wyoming this is the first problem I've seen with their draw.

Read on another site they already redrew all the residents who applied for 7 tags and some folks who drew the first time struck out the second. Let the crying games begin...

hardscrabble,

Theres going to be some serious whining, threats of lawsuits, and the sky is the limit...it wont matter how its handled.

I dont think they have a choice but to not issue tags to the last 1000 drawn...it will be a cluster-*^&$% in that unit with 2500 type 1 tags and also pretty tough on the bull elk. Many are already complaining of too few bulls.

I will say that in the 15 years I've applied in Wyoming this is the first problem I've seen with their draw.

***Yep, Triple BB. A guy on another website says his brother was in that draw screwup and claims the G&F did a complete redraw including all people that had applied for 7 just like the original draw hadn't happened. I have asked him if that was officially confirmed or just a guess by his brother, but haven't heard back yet. He claims his brother drew the tag in the first draw and now didn't in the redraw. I guess things will come out about this screwup in the next day or two, but I agree with Buzz that this is the first messup in the draw that I can remember since I started hunting in Wyoming in 1992.

Last edited:
No antelope for me. Was not expecting it though.

Didn't South Dakota mess up a year or two ago and sent out emails to a number of people that they drew one of the few bighorn tags?

Wyoming Bound

My buddy and I have been studying a few WY mule deer units over the past few years we felt might be worthy of our max points. Well, we decided upon a unit, applied and bingo, we drew two of the five NR tags. Looking forward to hunting a completely new unit and hopefully seeing a bunch of bucks. Stay tuned in early November for a complete hunt report.

I can't believe how much antelope doe tags got cut this year. The unit I usually get my doe tags in, which usually has leftovers, was a 50% chance of drawing as a first choice this year. While it sucks to not draw my doe tags, I'm glad to see WY being proactive in dealing with the herd quickly. Hunting should be good again in a couple years, and it's worth the wait.

Not sure how such a screw up can happen. In the business world, there are billions of entries made every day and it is pretty easy to make sure their are no "Key punch errors."

First, you write down the set quotas for each unit, which I am sure someone did along the way. And if they are very smart, they have two different people writing them down and will compare their totals at the end of the session. If someone has a different number, you go back and clarify which of the two is the correct numbers.

Then you have a couple different people run a total of the numbers to be input; what the accounting profession calls hash totals. The hash totals should agree on the sum of all the numbers to be input.

Have a person complete the input.

Once the input it done, you have the computer provide you a hash total of the input fields that were entered. That needs to agree with the hash totals of the people who manually added up the input fields. If they don't agree, someone made an error in their input.

If this mistake was really due to a "key punch error," someone should get reprimanded. The world is doing "key punch" by the billions of transactions every day. The rest of the world has figured out how to make sure key punch errors don't happen. Someone was sleeping at the switch to not have these simple controls in place.

Glad I am not one of the guys getting a phone call.

I noticed that it appears no non-resident mule deer tags were issued for unit 87 deer, and only 9 resident tags. There were 74 special 1st choice applicants and 183 regular 1st choice applicants, likely in part to Huntin' Fool listing it as one of the "better" units in the state. ;)

Strange...is that a mistake? Like issuing too many tags in unit 7 was? Seems odd they dropped it from 25 to 9...will help the bucks I am sure though.

Dang, I just looked at the deer odds. The unit I was hoping to hunt in 2015 looks like it'll be more like 2018 now. I wonder if a magazine recommended it.

I can't believe how much antelope doe tags got cut this year. The unit I usually get my doe tags in, which usually has leftovers, was a 50% chance of drawing as a first choice this year. While it sucks to not draw my doe tags, I'm glad to see WY being proactive in dealing with the herd quickly. Hunting should be good again in a couple years, and it's worth the wait.

Exactly! I don't feel so bad after seeing how many others did not get any permits, either. It will be back quickly, if these good conditions continue.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back