Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming elk with the older two

They don’t. Here’s the verbiage in the letter:

“The State of Wyoming does not guarantee the meat quality of wild animals; therefore, a new hunting license will not be issued if you decide to destroy your meat.”
Not sure if that's the best move because do you really want hunters passing and not shooting the sick elk from cwd knowing that the animal alive is spreading it to others?

The positive CWD test made me feel stupid for not having Ethan’s elk checked, as well. The spike looked perfectly normal, but I wish I had tested it also. I’m just not sure how long an animal can have CWD before the outward signs start to surface. I’m sure some on here can speak to that.

All told, it was a great trip with my boys, yet another thing for which to be thankful during Thanksgiving week. But the CWD cow was a little depressing. I don’t know what the future is going to hold for our ungulate populations, but the whole thing is a shame. That is for certain.
Elk have a low prevalence, generally less than 6%, and young animals even lower than that. Most hunters don't test anyways, so many have eaten CWD positive animals. It is obviously not spreading to humans and it's up to the individual what to do with their meat.

Congrats on your hunt with the family!

Elk have a low prevalence, generally less than 6%, and young animals even lower than that. Most hunters don't test anyways, so many have eaten CWD positive animals. It is obviously not spreading to humans and it's up to the individual what to do with their meat.

Congrats on your hunt with the family!
Thanks, @JM77 I appreciate the reply

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back