Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wolves or German Sheperds?

If your are allowing your dog to chase deer, you are wrong and I would happily carry the tag as an asshole for shooting that dog.

I have never shot a dog in my life. It would kill me.

I did have to put down a 20 year old Arabian and it did kill me and does to this day.

Colorado Law concerning the issue

Title 33. Wildlife and Parks and Outdoor Recreation. Wildlife. Article 3. Damage by Wildlife. Part 1. General Provisions.

§ 33-3-106. Excessive damage to property--permit to take wildlife--when--harassment by dogs

(3) Nothing in this section shall make it unlawful to trap, kill, or otherwise dispose of bears, mountain lions, or dogs without a permit in situations when it is necessary to prevent them from inflicting death, damage, or injury to livestock, real property, a motor vehicle, or human life and additionally, in the case of dogs, when it is necessary to prevent them from inflicting death or injury to big game and to small game, birds, and mammals. Any wildlife killed as permitted under this subsection (3) shall remain the property of the state, and such killing shall be reported to the division within five days. The division may bring a civil action against the owner of any dog inflicting death or injury to any big game and to small game, birds, and mammals for the value of each game animal injured or killed. The minimum value of each animal shall be as set forth in section 33-6-110.

CREDIT(S)
Amended by Laws 1975, S.B.322, § 6, eff. June 14, 1975; Laws 1985, H.B.1380, § 32, eff. June 29, 1984; Laws 2003, Ch. 305, § 2, eff. May 22, 2003; Laws 2009, Ch. 323, § 4, eff. June 1, 2009.

I prefer to rely on people in the trenches who clean up after Fido's little frolic off leash. Dog owners who allow their pet off leash are a lot like the parent who swears their kid would never do something. If your dog gets out of your sight while running off leash then you really do not know what your dog has done. Same for your kid, by the way. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Dogs-Chasing-Wildlife-A-Serious-Problem/532523.uts

Here is a recap of the risk you take on as Fido is out on a bender. https://www.animallaw.info/article/table-state-and-federal-laws-concerning-dogs-chasing-wildlife

I prefer to rely on people in the trenches who clean up after Fido's little frolic off leash. Dog owners who allow their pet off leash are a lot like the parent who swears their kid would never do something. If your dog gets out of your sight while running off leash then you really do not know what your dog has done. Same for your kid, by the way. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Dogs-Chasing-Wildlife-A-Serious-Problem/532523.uts

Here is a recap of the risk you take on as Fido is out on a bender. https://www.animallaw.info/article/table-state-and-federal-laws-concerning-dogs-chasing-wildlife

Really? I have fast, wide ranging chukar dogs. They range 200 to 800 yards from me while hunting. Under your definition, my dogs aren't under control and need shot if you see a deer on the hill.

The whole idea that dogs need killed to protect deer is an old myth perpetrated by backyard biologists who deer hunt 1 1/2 days a year. The vast majority of dogs are not deer (or anything) killers.

Greenhorn.

I know you hate cats.

Would you shoot a dog chasing a deer?

I honestly cannot abide any dog (feral or domesticated) chasing and killing deer. Unacceptable!

Just want your opinion. I do respect it.

To make the case worse. I do feed a feral cat. He does meow at me now and then. No physical contact.

Greenhorn.

I know you hate cats.

I'd probably only shoot a dog if it was chasing me or somebody that I like. I've shot a few barn cats, and that was fun - but probably not as fun as shooting a moron with a flatty and an instagram account full of really really really lame selfies.

I do like the Instagram. Best scenery ever, I have thought about retiring in Montana. So cold. I have a couple of years to decide.

Back off a little. She is BHA personified. She lives the life, just not all hunting.

Still acknowledge your hunting process. I Love what you do for your kids. Super hunters in their teens.

Respect!

This kids' a liar. I bet he knew they were shepherds all along. I love how he claims the dogs were out killing deer and he was justified, but in his original story they were just laying on the hillside near his backpack. If they were killing livestock the rancher might be within his rights to shoot them, but that's a whole different ballpark. Another black eye for the hunting community courtesy of social media...

Greenhorn.

I know you hate cats.

I honestly cannot abide any dog (feral or domesticated) chasing and killing deer. Unacceptable!

Just want your opinion. I do respect it.

To make the case worse. I do feed a feral cat. He does meow at me now and then. No physical contact.

But see, just because a dog is chasing doesn't mean its killing.

My mom's Pomeranian weights 4 pounds. She wants to chase deer when they go for walks where there are deer. She could never catch a deer, 1st, and she would never kill a deer. But she should be shot if she wasn't on leash and decided to chase a deer?

The only way a domesticated dog is catching a deer is if there are more than one dog or it is a young fawn and I do have a different opinion of packs of dogs chasing deer. They are out to kill it.

Hunting dogs are bred to get game. Chasing deer is a habit that most have to be broken of. They don't go killing deer, they chase deer. But if I take a year old dog to get it on birds(I haven't had the chase to break it of chasing deer and it takes actual chasing of a deer to make the circumstances to break it of that habit), a deer bolts and the dog chases, you are going to have a mouth full of fist when I catch up to you.

Everyone likes Craig and his pictures right? MTMiller, I'm sure your dog has chases a deer before at least once in its life, right? And I'm sure you broke him of that. Who wants to come on here an admit they killed his dog all because it chased a deer?

Hey bobbydean, I see your first instinct if you see a collared dog chasing a deer is to kill. Maybe you oughta think about taking a deep breath and assessing before you blaze away. You might end up in a spot like the flat brimmed idiot. mtmuley

Hey bobbydean, I see your first instinct if you see a collared dog chasing a deer is to kill. Maybe you oughta think about taking a deep breath and assessing before you blaze away. You might end up in a spot like the flat brimmed idiot. mtmuley

What he said!!! My lab has chased a deer and a antelope. Had her old butt "caught" up to them she would have said (in dog language), "Hey guys! You are fast! Seen any pheasants? No? Okay, bye!" Just because they chase a deer doesn't meant they have any intention of hurting them. You shoot at my dog, you better get ready to run...

But see, just because a dog is chasing doesn't mean its killing.

My mom's Pomeranian weights 4 pounds. She wants to chase deer when they go for walks where there are deer. She could never catch a deer, 1st, and she would never kill a deer. But she should be shot if she wasn't on leash and decided to chase a deer?

The only way a domesticated dog is catching a deer is if there are more than one dog or it is a young fawn and I do have a different opinion of packs of dogs chasing deer. They are out to kill it.

Hunting dogs are bred to get game. Chasing deer is a habit that most have to be broken of. They don't go killing deer, they chase deer. But if I take a year old dog to get it on birds(I haven't had the chase to break it of chasing deer and it takes actual chasing of a deer to make the circumstances to break it of that habit), a deer bolts and the dog chases, you are going to have a mouth full of fist when I catch up to you.

Everyone likes Craig and his pictures right? MTMiller, I'm sure your dog has chases a deer before at least once in its life, right? And I'm sure you broke him of that. Who wants to come on here an admit they killed his dog all because it chased a deer?

I for one would never shoot a dog. I'm an absolute dog lover, but your post is missing common sense.

Obviously no one is going to shoot a Pomeranian. The only harm a Pomeranian can do is to itself.

To assume that Millers dog has chased a deer is also dumb. I'm not saying that it has or hasn't, but just because a dog doesn't have have a leash doesn't mean that it has chased a deer at some point in its life. My dog has been on a leash one time and she thumped the $*** out of another dog because she felt trapped. She hasn't been on one since. She hikes with me everywhere I go unless it is during hunting season. When she was a pup I trained her to sit as soon as she seen an animal. She chases chipmunks because I allow it, but has never chased anything else. She will also sit if she finds a shed (she started this on her own, I had nothing to do with it) but she won't pick them up because she has a really sensitive mouth. I'm not saying that good dogs don't make mistakes, but dogs can be trained at a young age so that we don't have these problems.

Now, if we could train some of these dumbass kids that are just trying to get some "insta-fame" we'd be making some serious progress!

Bottom line is that typically the human is the problem. If we train dogs correctly and people use common sense before they pull the trigger we'll be a lot better off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back