Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wolves or German Sheperds?

Nothing wrong with killing a dog that is chasing deer.

If I was out on the woods and returned to find two dogs laying on my backpack I definitely wouldn't shoot them. And if for some reason the circumstance was such that i did, I wouldn't post it for my 16k plus followers to see

But then again, I wouldn't shooot a 4 point bull in a spike only area either.

^^^^^^

Nothing wrong with killing a dog that is chasing deer.

Are you serious?! What a stupid post! You can't shoot a dog because it is chasing a deer! Try using a little bit of logic for once! People who can't control their animals are just as bad as the guy who shot them but that doesn't give you the right to shoot whatever you want.

Last edited:
Maybe 'attacking' would be a better word than chasing.

Atleast attacking would be what it would take for me to do it.

Last edited:
Unless I am misunderstanding, I think it legal in some states to shoot dogs chasing deer. Again back to this legality verses morality thing. Similar to farmers and ranchers being able to shoot dogs in with cattle. You can legally shoot your neighbors toy poodle but it's not the most moral thing to do.

Keep a collar on your dog. If I see a dog a long ways from a house, without a human nearby and without a collar, I'm going to assume it's feral.

I'd be pretty upset if somebody shot my dog chasing an animal.

He's 8 years old and has done it twice while we were out hunting small game, both animals we jumped unexpectedly; once a mulie buck, once a pronghorn. Its funny because we seem them all the time and he's usually excellent, just watches. We've had deer and mountain goats within 20 yards of us and he move and inch. I'm assuming the difference is we were actively hunting at the time, and he recognized it was his job to get in game.

So forgive me if I can only control my dog 99.9% of the time when it comes to big game, and don't shoot him. I do try to put a vest on him when he's off leash.

Are you serious?! What a stupid post! You can't shoot a dog because it is chasing a deer! Try using a little bit of logic for once! People who can't control their animals are just as bad as the guy who shot them but that doesn't give you the right to shoot whatever you want.

Mostly this, but I don't think someone's dog being loose chasing a deer is anywhere near as bad as the guy who shot the dog. It's pretty crazy that people truly believe you can shoot a dog just because it is chasing a deer. Is it awesome to see a dog chasing a deer? No. Does a dog chasing a deer give someone the right to shoot it? I have no idea how someone could rationalize that.

Bottom line, those pictures are bad for hunters.
While they are forever out there and we can handle them and discuss at least he removed them from his Instagram.
We are doing ourselves no favours by leaving them on this thread

Maybe 'attacking' would be a better word than chasing.

Atleast attacking would be what it would take for me to do it.

The few seconds you would have to analyze that the dog was "attacking" the deer or that it was a dog, or that it deserved to be shot automatically puts you in the wrong. There is only three reasons that I can think of for you to EVER shoot a animal. 1.) You have a tag in your pocket or you are legally allowed. 2.) Your life is in danger 3.) You need the food to survive.....

Keep a collar on your dog. If I see a dog a long ways from a house, without a human nearby and without a collar, I'm going to assume it's feral.

Not the scene you describe and not trying to be an internet tuff guy but my dogs go everywhere with me and are on an e collar. If my dog goes over the hill and gets shot. I'm going to get very angry, I've been known to do some really stupid irrational shit to people when I get that kind of angry.
You better be sure before you shoot.
On another note I know someone who paid 25k in pain and suffering for shooting the neighbors dog.
Just because something's not illegal that doesn't make you not liable.

The few seconds you would have to analyze that the dog was "attacking" the deer or that it was a dog, or that it deserved to be shot automatically puts you in the wrong. There is only three reasons that I can think of for you to EVER shoot a animal. 1.) You have a tag in your pocket or you are legally allowed. 2.) Your life is in danger 3.) You need the food to survive.....

We are getting a little off topic here, but it does baffle me that you think its unnacceptable to shoot a dog that is killing a deer. When I was a kid through high school worked on a farm/ranch irrigating and haying. Some people close by had dogs that ran around and the one killed fawns. Several of them. The people who owned it were told several times that their dog was killing deer.
When it got caught doing it again, it died. (nobody said it was a wolf and posted a bunch of pictures though)
If you killed three fawns on private property in July, you would be a poacher and you would deserve the book thrown at you. If your dog did it, that's just fine and dandy?

But none of this applies to the guy in question who gunned down a couple dogs, laying next to his backpack then tried to convince himself they were wolves. I guess I could see there being a debate about whether a malamute is a wolf- because other than a curly tail there is not a lot of difference. But a german shepherd? Thats like mistaking a 4 point bull for a spike. Oh, wait...............

A dog in the act of "Killing" wildlife vs "chasing" are two distinct actions, as such there should be at min two different outcomes. In Montana dog has the right to first bite. Unless your in fear for your life or other human life or imminent threat, then the dog gets a pass. You shoot the dog, your liable for it and breaking a law. In Montana, only game wardens, or Peace officers can shoot dogs chasing game. When running cats your dogs (rarely but happens) might take off on a deer, moose, or elk for no reason other than chase. It usually doesn't happen for long these days for the fact that most houndsmen have tracking and training collars. Dogs misbehaving like that usually get a good dose of electricity and in short order come running back with their tails between their legs. If a hunting dog was shot on the short run, it wouldn't make for a very good situation out in the field.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...NT-JUST-SHOOT-DOGS-THAT-PESTER-LIVESTOCK.html

What about nuisance species? Here, pidgeons, starlings, groundhogs, coyotes, and even foxes are fair game on private land with no closed season. But there again this was public land, I think, and obviously not what he thought it was. Either way if it was a mistake, intentional, mean, or immoral, what the hell did he make it a spectacle for? Oh yeah, for notoriety and here we all are giving it to him. I agree with elkmagnet, maybe we should remove the pictures.

I think in one of the photos you can see a collar on the closest dog. In another you can see the ring in it's neck hair where the collar was so probably just a collar wouldn't have worked in this instance.

I am probably in the minority. If a dog (even collared) is chasing deer, he is fair game.

Check my previous posts. I love dogs.

Dogs laying beside your gear are looking for human friends, are good dogs. If you shoot those dogs, you are an asshole.

If I cannot tell the difference between a dog and a wolf. I would not carry a rifle.

I had a stray terrier attach himself to our family. We had a juvenile German Shepard (he wasn't a wolf) and the little terrier literally saved his life. Loved that little terrier. Unfortunately, the terrier had a hankering for sheep. Small town and as Hank for Elk stated. dogs run free in small towns in New Mexico

Little terrier was given poison meat in our yard and I buried the poor guy.

The dog was wrong. I was wrong. I did not realize he was bothering sheep.

Know the farmer, Good family, that did the poison and he was right. Protect your property.

Only stray dog that I adopted. Bad thing. Dog was good, but had bad habits that I did not break.

The farmer and my Dad were in ICU at the same time. He survived and my Dad did not!

Last edited:
I am probably in the minority. If a dog (even collared) is chasing deer, he is fair game.

Check my previous posts. I love dogs.

Dogs laying beside your gear are looking for human friends, are good dogs. If you shoot those dogs, you are an asshole.

If I cannot tell the difference between a dog and a wolf. I would not carry a rifle.

I had a stray terrier attach himself to our family. We had a juvenile German Shepard (he wasn't a wolf) and the little terrier literally saved his life. Loved that little terrier. Unfortunately, the terrier had a hankering for sheep. Small town and as Hank for Elk stated. dogs run free in small towns in New Mexico

Little terrier was given poison meat in our yard and I buried the poor guy.

The dog was wrong. I was wrong. I did not realize he was bothering sheep.

Know the farmer, Good family, that did the poison and he was right. Protect your property.

Only stray dog that I adopted. Bad thing. Dog was good, but had bad habits that I did not break.

The farmer and my Dad were in ICU at the same time. He survived and my Dad did not!

If you shoot a collared dog chasing a deer you are a huge asshole!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back