Why shoot diffrent weight bullets in same rifle

I'm a bit like you Bambi in that I simply find a good accurate load for whatever gun I use then never change it to be honest. Then if I am switching types of game I just switch rifles. For instance I use my 325wsm with 200gr Accubonds when Moose hunting but take my 25-06 with 115gr CT bullets when hunting Mulie's and antelope.

Dissent?

May I offer another opinion?
I propose that the original post(bambi) may have referred to the claims that the '06 is the best all-around calibre. This is-in my opinion- a true statement.
Prior to 75 mph highways and accessible air travel and the information highway, most folks were reduced to one or two species per year and fewer multi state hunts. Using an old 30-06 a boy from wisconsin could take his trusty whitetail rifle to Washington and have a reasonable chance of finding the same ammo. Not so for the self loader who used IMR this or CCIspeer that or 147 gain the other.
Basically what I'm saying is "for the masses, the 30-06 is the most versitile rifle -utilizing multiple bullet styles/weights and powder configs which are widely available to the average Joe"
Tinkerers like to tinker and will do so effectively but they are individuals working within a vacuum of personal desires unbefitting the masses.
Johnny in wisc who loads his own and uses the ame thing for everything runs the risk of not having access to his chosen componants when travelling to Botsawana.
I agree that finding the right load for a rifle and becoming proficient with it is the goal. I agree that the 30-06 is not the perfect rifle for everyone. I just think that when casting a net over the widest variety of hunting situations and variables, the humble '06 covers the most territory.
I shoot a 7MM Rem Mag. I shoot 150 gr ballistic silvertip at everything. factory.

That reminds me Nick... Years ago I was deer hunting and we were hanging a buck [opening day]

A man and his young son pulled into our camp and checked out the deer... then the man sheepishly said they forgot their ammo... they were 50 miles from the nearest town... he said they shot 30-06... We had 4 boxes with us... Sold him a box for 10. bucks.. common round was lucky for him...

Choosing the right bullegt weight needs to be determined with using the twist of your rifles barrel as well doesnt do you any good to shoot a big heavy bullet out of a gun with a slow twist because you cant stablize the bullet and then your accuracy suffers. I shoot a 308 and I use 210gr bergers because they shoot the best out of my rifle because it came factory with a fast twist barrel. If you do the ballistics on the load I have devloped it carries enough energy and velocity to be lethal out to 775 yds well there is no way i am shootign that far. I have little recoil and it is a light gun so I concur with the not needing a magnum comment i see no reason to own one as well.

I'd have to say I disagree and will shoot at least 2 weights out of 3 of my guns. I shoot groundhogs and groundhog matches(paper) and use the same gun for deer and bear. Now tell me a 500meter target of 1.5" 10 ring is going to use the same bullet as a bear and dear hunt. Groundhogs are not worth the high price of scirrocos or barnes solids. I can think of many instances of using diff weights etc.. Once you have a good scope dope for each and zero set from each its a piece of cake. Ballistics and scope turret adjustments aren't for everybody. To each his own

Much like Calvin getting a new rifle, we do it because we can.
It gives an excuse to buy two or three different bullets, and hit the loading bench.
I often work up a new "load" anytime I have a good tag in hand. Developing and testing a new load is a Zen like process.

Isn't shooting one bullet, for everything, kinda like showing up to every occasion wearing the same suit ?

I usually stick with one bullet weight, I shoot multiple weights and loads to see which performs best for my gun and shoot only one load for everything I hunt with that particular caliber. I always used 150's for everything with the -06, 225's in .338.... never had a problem if you shoot them in the right spot.

I shoot pretty much everything I hunt with 110 accubonds in .257 weatherby nowadays from coyotes to elk....

Last edited:
I am a 3006 fan, but not because "its soooo versatile"... I was just laughing about that the other day. If I'm going to shoot lope, coyotes, or prairie dogs with my 06', I dont go load 110's or 130's into it...and if I draw a moose tag or want to go elk hunting, I dont load her UP with 180's or 200's... I simply shoot 168's for everything. Its the best all around bullet for the 06...IMO...

If I start shooting my 300 Win more, I'll probably shoot the 200 grain Barnes TSX's....at everything!

I love my .280 with 165gr. Noslers, shot it for years, the gun has killed everything from lope to elk and hopefully soon moose. I also do shoot a .257 improved Ruger1 with 117gr. that has shot lope to elk also. So in my eyes, the placement of the bullet is more important than the size of the bullet.

Not to be presumptive, but a good writer once said, "Beware of the man who only owns one rifle. He's probably pretty good with it." I say that a man should be good with every rifle he owns and should only own rifles that shoot well. All of that adds up to "everyone has thier own opinion of this issue.. like 30-06 vs. 7mm Mag. vs. 300 mag.. when of course we all know that the .257 Weatherby is the best. Well almost except for the .264 Win. Mag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back