Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What was your first big game rifle, and do you still have it?

ismith

Here’s mine. It’s a Remington 700 30-06, one of three my Dad got in trade for a pre-64 model 70 back in 1984. I killed my first two bucks with it, my Wife and Mother killed their first bucks with it. My kids will have to kill their first bucks with it before I’ll give them their first rifles. Aside from all that, it has taken a pile of critters, to include a 31 inch 180 class mule deer. I’ll be hunting elk with it this coming opening day.

Attachments

• 6526C070-C5A8-4342-BED2-EB7893656DCE.jpeg
    6526C070-C5A8-4342-BED2-EB7893656DCE.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
Not counting the shotgun for slug hunting whitetails, I bought a Savage 110 in .270 for a caribou hunt. Never went, still have the rifle, only killed a wild, roaming dog that was hanging around bothering the boarding kennel dogs. Stuck it in the safe years ago never to be seen again! Wonder what kind of shape it's in!

H&R single shot 25-06, heavy barrel. I don’t hunt with it much anymore but I did upgrade the scope and rings last year. 100 grain corelokts were hell on deer growing up

Browning A-Bolt Medallion in a 7 mag. My dad gifted it to me after my first turkey hunt. Still in the safe, untouched for many years. That gun is retired and would only be pulled out for one specific hunt should I ever choose to do it again.

Winchester 670 in .30-06! K-Mart version of the M70, bought used when I was young. Didn't really appreciate it then, but over the years I have cleaned it up and it has really grown on me. Would never give it up.

Smith Corona 30.06 I bought from a coworker at Grease Monkey in 1998 in Ft Collins. He needed $ for a date and I got it for $90 with a case. An incredibly accurate rifle with a Bushnell scope. Killed multiple elk including my first and my wife's first. A couple of decent mulies too. Definitely still have it!

Yep. Marlin 444. Saved up and bought it myself, about 40 years ago. Took plenty of whitetails with it. Would love to tag an elk with it one day. I’ve taken it a few times, just haven’t worked out yet.

Browning A-Bolt in 270. Worked all summer with my dad and uncle siding houses and saved up to buy it. Killed my first bull with it that fall.

Winchester Model 94, was a hand-me-down from grandpa. My dad and all my uncles used it for their firsts, I shot my first deer and a spike elk with it. I still have it, I take it out and shoot it once or twice a year, then I wipe it down and put it back in the safe.

It’s in the will to be given to my oldest, my youngest gets my dad’s M70.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back