Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I'm letting this nice Browning Superposed pass.

TomTeriffic

The bid is up to $1,347 on that gun. My top bid was $1,125. I'm letting this one pass. I think I will just stick with my 1990 Mossberg 500A with checkered wooden stock as my entry-level dove gun for now. I think trying to get a nice-shape classic Belgian FN Browning Superposed (or even a classic Colt Trooper revolver) for "a song" is probably a pipe dream. A lot of nice older guns on GB are listed penny no reserve. The only way to 'steal' a nice older gun (a boat, a Harley-Davidson, a classic car, or anything else) is probably from some old widow who really doesn't know what it is worth. Nowadays, any sporting long gun under $1k, new or used, is more or less CHEAP. It's either a beater of an older classic or it is cheaply made. Nice older Colt D/A revolvers are listing at premium prices as well. If you have a minty original-boxed Colt Python from the 1960's, you have a small gold mine. Everybody knows that most modern CINO's are junk. Colt In Name Only. You know those nice old guns are likely going to be listed as auction or have sky-high buy-now prices.

I can't seem to locate any Savage 99's listed for under $2K that aren't beat or rusted to some degree by observing the photos. I can't seem to find any Husqvarana Model 3000 Crown Grade listed online that doesn't have a SOLD sign by it. The stuff I fancy is expensive and hard to find. Savage 99 originally when new was just a blue-collar gun for average American deer hunters. A 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air hardtop originally was just a cheap ordinary automobile. Back in the old days, only higher-ranking policemen bought COLT revolvers. COLT was comparatively prestigious. The less-prestigious Smith & Wessons were for rank and file cops.

Curious as to how a Daisy 880 registers on the prestige scale? I had one of those in olden times until the Crossman 760 of my friend caught my fancy, then I got one of those.

It sounds like you either need to increase your budget or lower your standards.

Savage 99s are not super difficult to find in decent condition, especially if you intend to hunt it anyways. Scratches and dings add history and ambiance to an old gun.

Colts are expensive because they’re highly collectible, just the way some things go. A nice S&W or Ruger will be a great handgun, are ready available and perfectly functional. Most people don’t shoot a 357 or 44 too often anyway.

I wouldn’t trade any of my wingmasters for that super posed or your mossberg, way more functional and better looking to me!

Gunbroker is also not typically the place to go looking for a deal, it can be a place to get something that’s hard to find. You should explore some pawn shops and local gun shops…

It sounds like you either need to increase your budget or lower your standards.

Savage 99s are not super difficult to find in decent condition, especially if you intend to hunt it anyways. Scratches and dings add history and ambiance to an old gun.

Colts are expensive because they’re highly collectible, just the way some things go. A nice S&W or Ruger will be a great handgun, are ready available and perfectly functional. Most people don’t shoot a 357 or 44 too often anyway.

I wouldn’t trade any of my wingmasters for that super posed or your mossberg, way more functional and better looking to me!

Gunbroker is also not typically the place to go looking for a deal, it can be a place to get something that’s hard to find. You should explore some pawn shops and local gun shops…
or, perhaps local gun shows .... a pawn shop just wants to sell a gun to cover their interest when the hocker defaults on the loan, I think ... I'm not sure if pawn shops are ever looking to make "killer" profits on gun sales, even rare pretty stuff .... pawn shops give notorious low value for things on loans .... not many LGS/FFL's stock much in the way of older guns these days ... my LGS stocks nothing but current-production tupper guns all over its walls

Here is a swell-looking Remington 7600 in aught-six. I don't care for that scope and see-through mounts for iron sights. Those look ungainly on this gun. I would prefer a good peep rear sight for woods deer as I would on a Savage 99 or any lever gun.

This gun has a fancy-looking stock for a Remmy pump. The auction on this is for 4 days. I'm watching this one and thinking about possibly tossing a bid at it in the last hour, maybe?? It's not a 100% safe queen, but looks pretty dandy as a woods hunter. Certainly more classy than any modern tupperthing. This specimen below could have been manufactured from 1981 through 2000. Doing some barrel date code research, it appears that this gun was built June 1985. Left side of barrel is marked "OF".

1679257343606.png

Last edited:
Curious as to how a Daisy 880 registers on the prestige scale? I had one of those in olden times until the Crossman 760 of my friend caught my fancy, then I got one of those.
BB gun fights led to pellet gun fights but ended abruptly when I took one to the neck.
The good ole days...young and dumb.

Reactions: JEL
or, perhaps local gun shows .... a pawn shop just wants to sell a gun to cover their interest when the hocker defaults on the loan, I think ... I'm not sure if pawn shops are ever looking to make "killer" profits on gun sales, even rare pretty stuff .... pawn shops give notorious low value for things on loans .... not many LGS/FFL's stock much in the way of older guns these days ... my LGS stocks nothing but current-production tupper guns all over its walls

Here is a swell-looking Remington 7600 in aught-six. I don't care for that scope and see-through mounts for iron sights. Those look ungainly on this gun. I would prefer a good peep rear sight for woods deer as I would on a Savage 99 or any lever gun.

This gun has a fancy-looking stock for a Remmy pump. The auction on this is for 4 days. I'm watching this one and thinking about possibly tossing a bid at it in the last hour, maybe?? It's not a 100% safe queen, but looks pretty dandy as a woods hunter. Certainly more classy than any modern tupperthing. This specimen below could have been manufactured from 1981 through 2000. Doing some barrel date code research, it appears that this gun was built June 1985. Left side of barrel is marked "OF".

View attachment 269121
I have an uncle and cousin who shoot those. They are left handed and the pump is ambidextrous for them.

BB gun fights led to pellet gun fights but ended abruptly when I took one to the neck.
The good ole days...young and dumb.
My kid took one to the side of the head while we were out camping one summer. Had to be doctor removed. Boys will be boys.

View attachment 269121
Classy see-through scope mounts. Beautiful and make for a great stock cheek weld

Back