3 elk in 10 min!

HandgunHunter

Just a couple days ago late season cow elk was wrapped up for three of us in about 10 min. We exited the vehicle just before sun up and in the darkness we could hear the elk talking within about a half mile of us. As soon as there was enough light to see we began creeping through the trees to find the herd. A short time later we found a herd of about 200. We snuck into some rocks upon a small ridge that gave us concealment and good shooting support. Up first was a friend running a 308 Nosler handgun. He picked out a calf at about 180 yards and put a 130 Barnes to work. When the herds get in these big groups they are unable to appoint a leader to decide what to do....they milled around for 30 seconds and then stood there. I picked out a cow with the 460 SW and a 240 Cutting Edge at 220 yards and let it fly. After my shot another friend on the hunt crawled up to the rocks we were concealed in and put his 454 BFR with a Barnes 225 to work on the last cow of the morning at about 180 yards. The results of the hunt are in the bed of the truck! De boned and taking a nap by 2pm!

both revolvers are using Ultradots. The Nosler is using a Holland scope.

Recovered base from just under the off side hide. Cutting edge from the 460.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1638.jpeg
    IMG_1638.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1630.jpeg
    IMG_1630.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1155.jpeg
    IMG_1155.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 158
Just a couple days ago late season cow elk was wrapped up for three of us in about 10 min. We exited the vehicle just before sun up and in the darkness we could hear the elk talking within about a half mile of us. As soon as there was enough light to see we began creeping through the trees to find the herd. A short time later we found a herd of about 200. We snuck into some rocks upon a small ridge that gave us concealment and good shooting support. Up first was a friend running a 308 Nosler handgun. He picked out a calf at about 180 yards and put a 130 Barnes to work. When the herds get in these big groups they are unable to appoint a leader to decide what to do....they milled around for 30 seconds and then stood there. I picked out a cow with the 460 SW and a 240 Cutting Edge at 220 yards and let it fly. After my shot another friend on the hunt crawled up to the rocks we were concealed in and put his 454 BFR with a Barnes 225 to work on the last cow of the morning at about 180 yards. The results of the hunt are in the bed of the truck! De boned and taking a nap by 2pm!

Congrats....right spot at the right time. Hand guns???Wow! Sounds like you had a plan and you guys executed it well. The meat looks great! The adventure was fast. 😊 Thanks for sharing.

Awesome job!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back