What makes one a "good shot?"

OntarioHunter

I recently read a piece in Field and Stream where David Petzal asks and answers this question. The conclusion, for me anyway, is it can vary with the individual. He mentioned a woman at a range that he handed a .45 auto. It was the first time in her life she'd shot a semi handgun and she blew the bullseye to pieces. Similarly, when I was at MP school in Ft Gordon back in the early seventies I qualified with a .45 Colt 1911 and shot the third best score ever. It was also my first time firing a semi auto handgun ... but I had at least shot a handgun before (I owned a worn out Smith .38 prison revolver). The best score at that time was a young lady who had never fired any gun before basic training a few weeks earlier.

One of Petzal's good shot criteria is the ability to recover after messing up. I once watched a guy I knew (now deceased) jump out of the truck and miss an easy standing shot at a deer. Then he proceeded to frantically empty the magazine of his Remington auto 30-06 faster than I could take another breath. Doe ran off unscathed. The guy went completely to pieces after missing the first shot. My skeet average is a solid 22.5/25. So I do miss the occasional shot. And what shot do I miss more than any other? Not station eight where the targets are coming at me from houses fifteen yards away. I think I missed two of those all year. No, more than any other, I miss the very first target out of the high house on station one. Overhead and nearly straight away. Okay, so I missed. Figure it out and move on. Most of the time I'll still finish with 24 or 23. Over at the trap range I often shoot with a guy who I know CAN be a good shot. But if he misses a target on the first or second station he falls apart. Lucky if he breaks seventeen.

Equipment CAN make a difference but I agree with Petzal, it's an overrated factor. However, I do think a good trigger ranks near the top, especially at the range. He puts practice at the top but that can be counterproductive (even if it was affordable). Some folks are way too sensitive to recoil. For them, get it zeroed and go hunting. Too much time at the range can build a flinch.

And finally, field experience is invaluable if that's the objective for becoming a good shot. Shooting at the range is a lot different than shooting at animals. Take up varmint hunting. Not the same as shooting at deer but as close as you'll get without having a tag in your pocket.

Last edited:
My advice buy a quality .22LR and try to shoot the barrel out. Trigger time is what counts and every Man thinks He’s a Lady’s Man and a Great Shot and there not !
I have had family issues this year with my Parent’s and Nursing Home’s so I went a Year with out shooting a shotgun. I received a call from the IKE”s Club to come out Oct 30th To shoot a little Trap so I was able to go. I broke a 74x75. How did I do this is because I tried to wear out a .22LR when I was a young Man.

lots of ammo and time to play with helps. I was a way better shot as a teenager when I had more free time
This.
I used to spend a lot of time on the trigger. With component prices and adulting now, I just don't get out as much.

This and Idaho has crap for public ranges. My nearest public range is 1 hour away, the next after than almost two. My biggest shock on moving to Idaho decades ago was the lack of public shooting ranges.

It's very very dependant on the person and situation. I know guys that can blow up milk jugs all day long with long range rifles up to and including 1000 yards consistently but can't drop a bird with a shotgun to save their life. I also know guys that seemingly can't miss any bird in range regardless of species and speed but are lucky to hit anything with a handgun.

I scored very well on my qualifications for the sheriff's office when I was a reserve. 99.8%. I had one barely outside center mass. That didn't impress more than a few. They all said, "Well it's different out in the field." I agree with that. But about a year later we got called to an aggressive dog call. Two cars pull up, dog turns and crouches, I hop out, he zeros in and sprints barking and growling. I drew and fired one shot. He dropped and slid to a stop about 5 feet from me. THAT solidified that I was a good shot in everyone's mind. I've always considered myself a good shot with a handgun or rifle.

That being said, I'm going pheasant hunting tomorrow with the guys. Unless that thing comes up and licks the end of the barrel Napolean Dynamite style it's pretty safe from ending up in my bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back