What's your favorite mountain house meal?

Most I have had are edible. The only one I couldn't get through is the beef stew. Looks like some puked up dog food. I always go the oatmeal route, partly cause of the egg thing as well. As for favorites, the ones with a little more flavor like sweet and sour pork and mexican chicken and rice are my tops.

I'm heading out today to the Rawah, also packed up with some paleo meals to go. https://paleomealstogo.com/shop/ They are on sale, and there was an advertisement /code in the back of Bugle for additional savings. I couldn't bring myself to do 15 bucks a pop on the Heathers Choice stuff. Can't eat Mtn House, been on the paleo kick and not looking back.

Turkey Tetrazzini

Yup. I think turkey tetrazzini is my favorite, as well.

I think I've pretty much eaten them all and I have yet to find one that I don't like. I stay away from chili mac because it's done some scary things to me. The spaghetti and lasagna are like concrete on your spoon so I usually don't buy a ton of them even though I enjoy eating them. I'll take a mountain house over real food even when I'm truck camping. After a hard day hunting the last thing I want is to cook or do dishes. I just want to eat and go straight to bed.

Spaghetti is only one I can tolerate.
Other than that can't stand them.

In the words of Crocodile Dundee, "Tastes like sh==, but you can live on it".

Except for the weight, I don't mind MREs one bit. They are good enough for the military and have been good enough for me many times over the years-both in military and civilian applications.

I like the turkey tetrizzini and chili mac. Not a big fan of the texture of the chicken ones.

From my file I made on the computer after testing several a couple years back.

Mountain house meal review

GOOD
-Chicken breast w/ rib meat
-Chicken fajita filling (added some cheese and on tortillas, Great! Also would be good w/ rice) Might need two 2 serving packs for a big meal or would need a side with one.
-Chicken & noodles (darn good by itself, or a real filling meal over instant mashed taters.)

OK
lasagna
beef stew (good w/ extra burger)
chicken teriyaki
Macaroini & cheese was decent, noodles were a little hard. Lots of extra cheese that could be used on mashed taters or something.
Sweet & sour pork and rice best of the ones I ranked decent, good flavor. pork doesn’t rehydrate as well as chicken. Beef either.

BAD
-Beef stroganoff

Backpacker’s pantry review
Fettuchini alfredo w/ chicken very good
Colorado Omlette terrible, only ate 2 bites.
Dark chocolate cheesecake ok at best. Nothing special

I dislike the dehydrated schtuff since I feel ill after eating it. My Frau loaded me up with Fishpeople soup in a bag this year. Available at Kroger, King Soopers, City Market, etc., this stuff is soup in a pouch. I boiled water on my isobutane stove, drop in the pouch for 3-5 minutes and then I'd have my fish/clam/salmon chowder at 11,500'. The only negative is that it does weigh a bit more than dehydrated food. All those ounces add up. On the other hand, I felt better this year than in the past.

I saw a few guys bring up Paleo Meals to Go. "HF25" get's you 25% off your order if you want to give them a try. I'm a big fan.

I dug into a few of the paleo meals last week and was very pleased with the food. I'll have to try the HF25 on my next order, thx for the code.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back