Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What's your favorite mountain house meal?

I know the OP asked about Mtn House, but I usually prefer Backpacker's Pantry over Mtn House. DIY is still better - google DIY backpacking food. Use Heavy Duty Freezer bag instead of the Mtn House packaging (can be reused and you'll have less garbage to pack in/out)

I will pipe in a bit and say that I find the Mtn House and BPP dinner meals and desserts (all I eat) decent. That being said after being forced to eat MREs as a young soldier I always found a way to bring enough Ramen and a propane stove to keep me away from that mess :) Any kind of meat (dried beef, canned tuna or chicken or a can of no beans chili) make it luxurious :) My standards are pretty low. This is part of the reason I like being in a base camp with a bunch of coolers and cooking goodies. I put a lot of miles on during the day and I want GOOD food coming evening. We generally do a bunch of make-ahead freezer meals in vacuum or ziploc bags and only really "cook" about 25% of the meals. We ate very well in camp :)

Beef stroganoff is probably my favorite Mountain House. We tried some Paleo To Go recently and they are much better IMO. Take more like real food and are made with healthy ingredients.

Chicken a la King and Italian pepper steak are my favorite dinners .. Biscuits and gravy is great for breakfast along with blueberries and granola .. But the egg breakfasts are terrible!

Chicken al la king is my favorite too. Good stuff! I actually like most of them, but this is the best in my mind.

Pretty sound advice right there. chicken al la King is my favorite. The freeze dried ice cream sandwiches are oddly good if you get a sweet tooth in the mountains.

I love the taste of their Chili Mac, but it talks to me all night and into the next day. Chicken and Rice is my favorite.

I enjoyed the Stroganoff one... though now that I am on this low carb "life style"... I may have to go with the... uhhh... Hmmm... I'll get back with ya after this archery/rifle season...

I enjoyed the Stroganoff one... though now that I am on this low carb "life style"... I may have to go with the... uhhh... Hmmm... I'll get back with ya after this archery/rifle season...

Charles, I have really been enjoying the "Paleo meals to go" brand. They cost more than Mtn House but are a superior product.

My favorite Mtn House Meal is probably Lasagna but for some reason Sweet and Sour Pork hits the spot also.

Chicken & mashed Tators is my favorite.

We usually take their blueberry cheesecake (2pks) for one buddy's birthday while we're in the backcountry - good stuff!

Charles, I have really been enjoying the "Paleo meals to go" brand. They cost more than Mtn House but are a superior product.

My favorite Mtn House Meal is probably Lasagna but for some reason Sweet and Sour Pork hits the spot also.

I'll check that out, thanks. As for Lasagna, that one is pretty good... or was. Heh!

Chicken and rice isnt half bad. Not a big pasta in a bag fan. The chilie Mac is ok. No egg anything for me. Honestly I hate mountain house, it's all way to salty and fake tasting for me. But it's easy and that's worth something.

Lasagna is my favorite. Chicken and rice is good too.

I seem to always get those dry chunks in my lasagna. Besides that it's one of my favorites. Second would be the chicken and rice. And the scrambled eggs are gross.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back