PEAX Equipment

What's your favorite mountain house meal?

mattfly77

Forgive me if there's already been a discussion on this, but I searched and couldn't find anything on it. But, I'm about to order my back country meals for my hunt and have heard that not all mountain house meals are created equal. I'm going to give Heather's Choice a shot too, but the majority will be mountain house. Comment on your favorite/least favorite meals from them! Thanks!

Begins and ends with chili mac. Im not very picky, and I will eat other stuff, but the only one I look forward to is chili mac.

Definitely aren't all created equal. I have a Mountain House theory that goes like this: If you make it at home by boiling it in water, the Mountain House version will be alright. If you don't make it at home by boiling it in water, then stay away, far away.

For example, you can make chicken by boiling it in water. You make rice by boiling it in water. The chicken & rice meal, therefore, will be palatable. Beef stroganoff... same thing. You boil noodles at home. You can boil beef in a crock pot and it's delicious. The beef stroganoff is one of my favorites. But... Scrambled eggs? I don't boil my scrambled eggs. No thank you.

Fettuccini Alfredo with Chicken and Chicken and Dumplings with Vegetables. Lots of sodium in most products of this type which is OK once in a while, but can get to you if you eat for a number of days. For eggs, the only way to go if you want eggs is OvaEasy Whole Egg Crystals.

Ditto homers. These meals will give you the "squats" if you eat a lot of them ! My favs are the breakfast skillet and anything chicken. The spaghetti and lasagna is gross !

Last edited:
I like the chicken and rice, I usually bring some taco bell hot sauce packets and crushed red pepper that help spice it up.

I like the Lasagna too. Also with crushed red pepper.

The Chili Mac doesn't like me much, at least people don't like to walk behind me after I eat it.

Definitely aren't all created equal. I have a Mountain House theory that goes like this: If you make it at home by boiling it in water, the Mountain House version will be alright. If you don't make it at home by boiling it in water, then stay away, far away.

For example, you can make chicken by boiling it in water. You make rice by boiling it in water. The chicken & rice meal, therefore, will be palatable. Beef stroganoff... same thing. You boil noodles at home. You can boil beef in a crock pot and it's delicious. The beef stroganoff is one of my favorites. But... Scrambled eggs? I don't boil my scrambled eggs. No thank you.

Pretty sound advice right there. chicken al la King is my favorite. The freeze dried ice cream sandwiches are oddly good if you get a sweet tooth in the mountains.

The sausage gravy biscuits is actually really good, considering.....IMO.

No more Mtn House for me. Don't get me wrong, I have eaten them aplenty and I've done ok with them but after discovering more healthy and palatable meals such as Heathers Choice and the ones that I can make myself I won't miss the Mtn House.

For instance:
http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go

Thanks so much for that link. I'll be trying that. I used a few mountain house meals last year on my antelope hunt and I can't remember which one was so bad....but I knew there were some that were good, just wanted to ask about it.

Just ate a Mt house meal today to see if I liked it, lasagna. Oh my, the toilet will never look the same. What do I take now??? Try another type of MT house???

I don't eat them very often but last weekend I grabbed a couple for backpacking with my son for sheer convenience. Biscuits and gravy for breakfast was pretty good. Chicken fried rice tasted okay but looked like I had eaten real chicken fried rice and puked it into the bag. I also had a different brand, Good to Go, in thai curry that was really good. Those are dehydrated rather than freeze-dried so they take a little longer to soak but much less sodium and all around better. I have an excalibur food dehydrator so I try to make some of my own meals. I can make two huge meals of angel hair and pasta sauce for the backcountry for about $3. A few weeks ago I dehydrated some leftover cajun dirty rice with ground elk heart (recipe courtesy of Hank Shaw). Looking forward to that one for sure.

Jeffpg, thanks for that link to the yumylife site. I don't care for the amount of sodium in the commercial meals, so a diy alternative is awesome.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back