What's a good long range rifle out of the box?

Southern Elk

I'm interested in buying a long range rifle. A few of us have enjoyed shooting our hunting rifles out to 500 yards or so and I'm looking to stretch that out a bit more. I don't know if I'd ever care to shoot an animal at these long distances, but it's fun to do at the range. Anyway, I've been looking into the Remington 700 Long Range and the Savage Long Range Hunter. Has anyone shot either of those and what are you opinions on them? Should I be looking at another brand? I want to stay under $1,000 for the rifle (not including scope). Also, I'm thinking I want the rifle chambered in 300 Win Mag. Is that a good choice?

Performance wise, I would go with a 7mm Rem Mag, it has better ballistics. in regards to the rifle, I have not used wither of the ones you mentioned, so I can't help you there.

Have you considered trying your hunting rifle at longer range? Probably won't win any match's wit it but then it will probably still work. Consider the bullet's your using. I only fool with long range a little but when I do there's only one bullet I consider, Sierra Match King's!

I prefer the 300 over the 7mm. I have a Tikka that i put a nice scope on and did some load development and it is driving tacks.

Have you considered trying your hunting rifle at longer range? Probably won't win any match's wit it but then it will probably still work. Consider the bullet's your using. I only fool with long range a little but when I do there's only one bullet I consider, Sierra Match King's!

I really haven't. I would have to upgrade scopes.

Check out the browning hell's canyon and Christensen Arms. CA will stretch your budget a bit, but the performance has been excellent. I have a Browning x-bolt and A Christensen Arms Mesa with Leupold CDS Scopes and I routinely ring steel with this set up out to 800 (That's as far a my shooting range goes). My browning is a 300 WM, the CA is a 7MM Mag. I prefer the 7 Mag's performance and lighter recoil over the 300.

Can't comment on either of the rifles you mentioned, but don't think for a minute you need one of the magnums mentioned to shoot 500 yds.

In standard internet forum fashion I will disagree with both cartridges because to punch paper you don't need magnums and suggest the Savage 12LRP in 6.5 or 260Rem. I have the 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. You'll want a 20MOA base but to 1K is nothing with this rifle plus you can take the trigger down to only a few ounces. The rifle is far to heavy to carry for any amount of time.

Looking at the Rem 700 Long Range, I think I'd go with 7mmRemMag

Last edited:
For playing at the range, I'd want something that kicks less and burns a whole lot less powder than anything on a magnum case. In your shoes (and price range) I'd probably look quite hard at the Tikka CTR and/or Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Ruger might stretch your proposed budget by a $1-200 and be heavier.

For playing at the range, I'd want something that kicks less and burns a whole lot less powder than anything on a magnum case. In your shoes (and price range) I'd probably look quite hard at the Tikka CTR and/or Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Ruger might stretch your proposed budget by a $1-200 and be heavier.
Yeah, for long range plinking isn't a 308 a standard caliber? I also think magnums wear out barrels quick by comparison.

This. I'd even support getting the 6.5 manbun over a magnum. But a .284 would be slick in one of these rigs.

Agree with others on caliber. If punching paper go with smaller caliber. I hunt with mine so I have a tikka 300 mag. I put a Bell & Carlson stock on it, had it bedded and a muzzle brake. The gun was plenty accurate before swapping stocks it was just personal preference. I’ve shot & consistently hit 8” steel at 800 yds. Farthest shot I’ve taken at an animal with this gun is 400 yds. I enjoy shooting out to 1000 yds with it as a hobby. I wouldn’t shoot animals that far, that’s just me. Carry weight & ready to hunt it’s about 9 lbs.

While I would be mostly shooting it at the range, I would like the option of being able to hunt with it. That's why I was leaning towards the 300 win mag. My hunting rifle is a 7mm mag, so I do like the thought of maybe having some cost savings while reloading for two rifles in the same caliber. I had heard from most folks that .300 win mag was better.

all the calibers mentioned in this post are potent hunting calibers. Even the 6.5 manbun;)

What you plan to hunt and what your distance limit will be should dictate caliber. For deer and antelope at 700 and in I’d look at a 260, 6.5 creed, or 6.5x55. Only reason I would look at a magnum is if you’re going to chase elk. If you dont want hunt at all with it, I’d look at a .223 with a fast twist to handle heavy bullets. Get yourself a reliable scope and a level to go with it.

What you plan to hunt and what your distance limit will be should dictate caliber. For deer and antelope at 700 and in I’d look at a 260, 6.5 creed, or 6.5x55. Only reason I would look at a magnum is if you’re going to chase elk. If you dont want hunt at all with it, I’d look at a .223 with a fast twist to handle heavy bullets. Get yourself a reliable scope and a level to go with it.

Elk

If you want a .300 Winchester, get one. Who cares if others think it has too much recoil, burns too much powder or eats barrels. Get what you want. I think it's a great choice. Tons of bullets, some with very high BC. Me, I'd stuff that Winchester with H1000 and 210 grain Berger Hybrids. And since you aren't probly gonna pack the rifle, get one with some weight. mtmuley

If you want a .300 Winchester, get one. Who cares if others think it has too much recoil, burns too much powder or eats barrels. Get what you want. I think it's a great choice. Tons of bullets, some with very high BC. Me, I'd stuff that Winchester with H1000 and 210 grain Berger Hybrids. And since you aren't probly gonna pack the rifle, get one with some weight. mtmuley

Fair statement for sure, I was just pointing out to him that contrary to popular opinion, non-magnums will kill elk.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back