What should we hunt and film?

-1 Moose if you can find the people with the tags. I haven't drawn one yet for here in MT.
-1 Wolf
-5 Elk
-3 Mule deer
-1 Speed goat
-1 waterfowl/upland hunt (dogs giving me the "did you say duck" look)

Just my .02.

Why don't you throw a challenge in there. Try an archery hunt for Coues whitetail..

I think you need to drop one or two of the elk and add a bear and/or a cat. Also you are invited to come along and help me with my moose hunt in Idaho this fall

I personally wouldn't because I don't have any hounds, and I suspect that if the OYOA crew used them it wouldn't really be an on your own hunt either.

Although i think season1 and some very nice season 2 episodes ive seen so far are excellent i really think you shouldnt stray too far from were your at now.I think the ideas of d.i.y. hunting for the average guy are great and havnt seen that in other hunting shows.on that note I would like to see more smokepole hunts of any type,not inlines with 209 primers and sabots,but old style muzzleloaders like oregon and i believe colorado require on muzzleloader hunts only.also would like to see a crossbow type hunt if posible where there are crossbows allowed,looks like now only posibility for a wolf hunt may be in canada,alaska style combo hunt is good idea if the budget can stay affordable for the average guy.

You could do all elk and mule deer as far as I'm concerned. A two episode deal of Alaska would be good, caribou and moose. If people want to learn about the logisitics of a DIY hunt to Alaska, they can get the information on the net. I've helped several.

You can leave the turkeys, white tail and black bear hunts to the pet shooters to film. You do know you have the best show on TV? Whatever you hunt will be fine as long as you stay with the format.

Big Fin,

I am new to the block but I agree with most of your ideas. A Whitetail hunt from a stand over a food plot is out with me. A true public land hunt would be OK. I have no interest in watching someone hunt Bears over a barrel of bait. I don't hunt bears at all because I can't stand the meat and won't shoot game I can't eat.

I am partial to Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk and enjoy those type of hunts which looks like the bulk of your shows. A do it yourself hunt for Oryx or Ibex would be great if you had the tag. A do it yourself Javelina hunt would be interesting. I hunted on the San Carlos Reservation in Arizona a couple of years ago and had a great time.

I would not mind a Western Turkey hunt. I am an avid Merriam hunter and have taken Merriams in California, Washington, New Mexico, Arizona, South Dakota, Montana. I enjoy those type of hunts DIY on public land because for the most part you are hunting in the same areas you would hunt Elk and Mule Deer

How about an archery hog or javelina hunt ? I believe crossbows are now legal for everyone in Texas if you wanted to go that route, I prefer a compound bow myself though. Any hunting is better than having to go to work.

I'm new here but how about an Aoudad hunt in NM?

4 Elk (1 archery)
3 Mule deer (1 archery)
2 AK episodes for Moose & Caribou (either a float hunt or regular land hunt)
2 Pronghorn (1 archery)
1 Aoudad (Barbary sheep)
1 Black bear

I've also got the person for your youth hunt. :) My son is 16, has never been out west, and has only killed one deer (a doe) in his young life. He shoots a .270 so a mule deer or antelope hunt would be perfect for him!

Last edited:
For a true On Your Own Adventure, how about a Blacktail hunt? Everyone talks about Mule deer and Whitetails but I say Blacktails are as tough to hunt as it gets. Rough terrain mixed with some warm weather this would be a good shake up to the mix of hunts that we see on tv. Most are happy with a decent forked honed buck. Just my opinion but these tough deer get over looked.

I like the idea posed by drthornton of a flagging antelope hunt only restrict it to primitive archery or at the very most a recurve. That should give a feel for what our native brothers had to experience.

Last edited:
I think a Spring Bear spot and stalk hunt in th NW would be achievable. Earlier warm up might fit your filming schedule in some of the river canyons...If you happened to have a turkey as a target of opportunity, that would be ok too.

An Alaska episode would be Epic! I'd watch that. And take notes.

Out of the box but a compilation of small game hunts as a side attraction to the big game could be interesting. Some of my fond memories are of grouse, and cottontails that were dinner on some of my hunts.

I'd like to see a segment during an episode on how hunting forums and spots posted on the internet can result in crowded hunting areas. A few of us have had our public land spots overrun after someone posts a trailhead name or particular ridge.

I second the California blacktail deer hunt. It is an over the counter hunt that could be completed in some of the public hunting ground in northern California. Tough animals to hunt and great on your own adventure.

I also fancy the thought of a public ground Aoudad hunt in New Mexico.

Love the show and keep up the great work!!!

As long as the hunts you're planning stick to the OYO formula, I'd watch you hunt almost anything.My buddies have hunted this way in northeastern Wyoming for several years. We live in the midwest, so our antelope and mule deer hunts require a 20-hour drive just to get started and we realize the journey, setting up camp, scouting , etc. are all important parts of the experience. I would like to see and episode where you cover a hunt starting with your application process, through scouting, and then the hunt itself.

I like to format of the show a lot and hope you can keep it along the "D.I.Y" lines. I would very much like to see:

Mule Deer Hunts
Antelope Hunts

Alaskan Hunts for: Moose, Caribou, Black Bear, and Black Tail Deer.

Realistic Public Land Elk Hunts

No Whitetail Deer

Very Little Archery, Traditional Black Powder is much more interesting.

All Spot and Stalk, Overnight Back Pack or Day Hike Hunts.

Bob

I'm a big fan elk and mule deer hunts. One of the exciting things about archery hunting for elk is the ability to hunt duing the bugle. If you want to up your elk hunts but keep archery to a minumum, why not take advantage of the over-the-counter elk tags in Idaho that allow rifle elk hunts durring the bugle mid September?? Every year I travel from Nevada to Idaho to enjoy just that. The Selway offers mid September rifle hunts along with the Middle Fork. Personally I prefer the Middle Fork. I would be happy to share any info I have if your interested. Love the show!!!! Keep up the great work.

Show us the joy of small game hunting; javelina, rabbits, and dove in a single trip.... that kind of thing.

If/when we don't get drawn for what we want, show what the hunter's options are to still get out and have fun.

Show us the joy of small game hunting; javelina, rabbits, and dove in a single trip.... that kind of thing.

If/when we don't get drawn for what we want, show what the hunter's options are to still get out and have fun.

A big +1 from me.

Also, don't forget there's an appreciable amount of DIY/public land opportunities east of the Mississippi.

I would personally LOVE to see an Honest T' God eastern public land whitetail hunt. Who cares IF you get one, just film the experience so many of us do day on day and let the world know it's not all about how big the deer is, it's about the hunt. Hell Take a doe, wee need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back