What should we hunt and film?

2010 Species Hunts Feedback

I think the schedule looks about right, but as you say it is subject to change. Sheep or Goat are a bonus and tough to plan for. As for the AK hunts, I would suggest a maximum of 2 episodes and give the best explanation of the planning process for self-guided hunting as time will allow.

Hell, I ain't got anything new to say, but the way I hunt oyo is I got 5 tags in my pocket, and hopefully I see something I can shoot at..oh..and a youth hunt would be good, as long as it's not a 4 year old kid in a wooden ground blind shooting a whitetail on a food plot.

....and a youth hunt would be good, as long as it's not a 4 year old kid in a wooden ground blind shooting a whitetail on a food plot.

Now that's funny choc dog. Very funny.

And, no worries. Won't be doing a youth hunt like that.

Thinking of a youth elk hunt, a tent camp in the NF, hunting with packs on our backs, building campfires, eating crappy food, quartering and packing whatever is shot, shooting whatever elk the kid wants cow/bull/calf, and being absolutely ecstatic over any elk that might get in our way. And making the fun of the hunt the greatest part of the experience, whether something is shot, or not.

The reason your comment is so funny to me is that one of the big sponsors who asked that we do a youth hunt, said almost exactly the same thing you did.

I think a youth hunt like you described Fin would be awesome. Definitely a lot easier for most of us to relate to, and I'm sure would bring back lots of good memories for all that watch.

Javelina please please I see enough elk hunts on tv elk archery elk hunts bore me too much like turkey hunting.

Might as well throw in my .02. I love to turkey hunt but like some others have said, I don't like watching it on TV. I really don't understand why the true excitement of turkey hunting does not "come through" on video.

Maybe because most of the scenes on TV only show the birds coming into the setup and the kill shot. They make it seem too easy. It's simple 1-2-3. 1) You call and hear a gobble. 2) You setup and start calling and waiting. 3) The birds come in and you shoot one.
Truth is, it can take an hour or it can take days to accomplish those 3 steps, as Big Fin and his friend found out in their turkey episode last year. And on public land, believe me, the birds are EDUCATED...
I got a real kick out of those two chasing that one gobbler all over the place. I'd be willing to bet that gobbler knew exactly what was going on and where they were at all times. He was laughing at them all day long, or so it seemed. Probably saying to that hen, " Who do those two think they're foolin'?" But, believe it or not, that was what made the show good... 'cause we've all been there...
And too, if you don't actually call the bird yourself, you're missing the complete experience. Knowing that the bird is actually calling to you and coming to your call is what raises the hair on the back of your neck... or at least intensifies it. That's why most real turkey hunters do most of their own calling, no matter if they're not a champion caller. Once you have called well enough to bring a gobbler to you, you're hooked for life, IMO...

Personally I would take 13 elk hunts because I have elk fever, lol.

But since you have to vary it up, I'd love to see a backpack hunt and a javelina hunt since I'm buying my first bow this week and am going to start hunting those smelly little buggers too.

I've seen the above mentioned whitetail youth episode, I think that's the reason I brought it up. but, if you ever wanna film a bunch of wiseacres missing shots at close up ducks, making fun of each other, and the dog giving us THAT LOOK, you're welcome to tag along next fall...

Last edited:
I suggest a chopper drop in BLM hunt next season in eastern Montana, on "public land with no public access".. If timed properly your hunt could be aired on two programs at once.

I think you should include a disabled veteran in a hunt...I know one that would gladly tag along...lol

We had a chance to get some great footage of a disabled guy getting some help from his friends but waited a bit too long to film it. There were two guys carrying a friend in a wheelchair across this big field to help him get into position. It was pretty inspiring once I figured out what they were doing. Maybe the footage will turn out. It was a long way away.

I like a real hunt with youth. Most kids think there first time out they should shoot a monster buck like they do on tv and its just not practical. Too many antelope hunts isnt a good idea it will make it tougher for me to get tags. Everyone should be archery elk hunting. (I actually love watching the antelope hunts, shhh dont tell anyone.) Whatever the schedule it isnt going to matter as long as its real hunting, people will tune in.. Cant wait Big Fin Im lost with no OYOA on.

A youth hunt for Wyoming pronghorn, throw in sage grouse and some prairie dog shooting, might make a good episode.

While I would enjoy an Alaskan hunt or two I don't think that they fit into many hunters real sweet spot for either time or money.

I would vote for more "remote" type hunts in Cancada (Moose, Caribou, Goats, Sheep, Bears, wolves, lynx and more). These travels (Canada) and expenses seem to be closer to what the viewing public can afford to duplicate.

While I would enjoy an Alaskan hunt or two I don't think that they fit into many hunters real sweet spot for either time or money.

I would vote for more "remote" type hunts in Cancada (Moose, Caribou, Goats, Sheep, Bears, wolves, lynx and more). These travels (Canada) and expenses seem to be closer to what the viewing public can afford to duplicate.

How do you figure? I suspect anything hunted in Alaska will be an OYOA. where as Canada requires a guide..kinda goes against the point of what this place is all about.

OYOA 2010 lineup:

Arizona Archery Elk Unit 10
Arizona Archery Antelope Unit 10
Arizona Rifle Deer 13B
Utah LE Elk Beaver
Nevada Mule Deer 231
Mt. Lion targeted and called in.
Colorado Mule Deer Hunt
Arizona Rocky Mtn. Sheep Archery Hunt
Some predator calling hunts

Sorry guys that is my lineup, CAREER lineup, just hoping for at least one tag.

Elk & Mule Deer! Elk, Elk, Mule Deer, Mule Deer, Mule Deer and did I say Elk!

Then sheep, coues deer, blacktail, western whitetail, a few predator hunts and if you are hunting bear spot stalk or calling only please.

Back