Unique Big Game Regulations

AlaskaHunter

Alaska has some big game laws that may be unique:

1) No published shooting hours for big game, as long as you can see it my natural light, you can shoot it.

2) No hunting of most big game species same day airborne. So if you take a bush plane into a remote camp, illegal to shoot until the next day.

3) Illegal to pack out the antlers unless all the meat has been packed out first.

4) You can bag an species of lesser value on your tag (if it is open season).
So for example, if you have a non-resident moose tag ($800), you could shoot a caribou or black bear instead as those tags are less than $800.

5) Nonresidents who hunt brown/grizzly bear, sheep, or goats must be personally accompanied in the field by
an Alaska-licensed guide OR an Alaska resident relative 19 years or older within second-degree of kindred** holding a
current Alaska hunting license.

6) In some units, the quarters must be packed out bone-in. So for a moose hindquarter that is typically over 100 pounds.

7) An Alaska resident may proxy hunt caribou, deer, moose, or muskox, for another Alaska resident that is
blind, 70-percent physically disabled, 65 years of age or older, or are developmentally disabled.

8) Game animals taken in defense of life or property belong to the state.
If in defense of life or property, you kill a bear, wolf, wolverine, coyote, beaver, fox, lynx, mink, weasel, muskrat, marten or river otter, you must salvage the hide and skull and surrender them to the state.
If in defense of life or property, you kill a bison, caribou, deer, elk, moose, muskox, sheep, or mountain goat,
you must salvage horns or antlers and the meat and surrender them to the state.

9) It is illegal to use or being in immediate possession of urine from any species of the deer (Cervidae) family, including scent
lures.

10) Alaska has youth-only big game hunts, some by draw, some open depending on big game species.

11) For residents free over the counter tags for black bear, grizzly bear, Dall sheep, caribou, moose, deer in some units.

12) Free tags for predators and liberal bag limits in some units.
In some units residents can harvest 3 black bears and no closed season on black bears.
In some units residents can harvest 2 grizzly bears from Aug 10 - June 30.
In some units grizzly bears may be baited in addition to black bears.
In some units 10 wolves can be harvested from Aug 1 - April 30.

13) Free hunting/fishing/trapping license for residents 60 years or older.

Are you sure you should post that list where the Montana legislature can see it?

Sorry, sorry, I don't even live in Montana, but this site is rubbing off on me. :cool:

QQ

I grew up in Alaska and just recently moved to ID the regs here are totally different. Its taken getting used to for sure. I do some of the Alaska regs but dont on others.

As usual, there is probably more to Alaska regulations than meets the eye. Regulations usually aren't legislated until after the crime has been committed. Most regulations follow the path of common sense to protect both wildlife and hunter. Yes, for every seasoned common sense hunter rolling their eyes at these regulations, there are a thousand empty-headed hunters breaking them and getting into trouble.

Does anyonoe besides Colorado require the nuts remained attached when quartering or deboning?
Required in Alaska.

Illegal to pack out the antlers before all the meat has been packed out.
Also in some units deboning is not legal which can be problematic with moose hindquarters weighing > 100 lbs.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back