Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What happens when you die?

I've thought about this, and don't really care. If they all burned up tomorrow I wouldn't really care one way or another. If my kids want them, cool, my grand kids, cool. They're just antlers/horns. They give me a sense of satisfaction/pride, but I know that is mine and mine alone.

I've left a number of antlers on the mountain recently, and I'm sure many more to come.

I've thought about this alot over the years and realize that they only mean something to me. My wife definitely doesn't care for them and I wouldn't expect my boys to want to haul them around when I'm gone. I've already told my wife to do whatever is easiest. If that's the dump, so be it. I had my lifetime of memories.

My wife and I both hunt, and we did everything in European mounts. Everything is a trophy (Fair Chase). So, we have many, many, antelope, deer, elk, caribou racks.

Our kids have a huge house, so should have room.

Rods, reels, guns, knives, sleeping bags, tents, all delineated as to whom they go. No squabbles.

Reactions: Hem
I am a lousy hunter and don’t have many worth of it, but I’ve only got euros so far. My hope is to have the ability to go back and return them to where I got them from. Maybe to picked up by some shed hunter as the cleanest deadheads ever, or the squirrels will get them. Agreed, kids and wife won’t want them.

My uncle is aging and has often stated his lifetime of mounts is mine when he’s gone. Be some tough decisions to be made.

Probably be ground down into boner pills for superstitious east asians and their aging American counterparts.

If none of my kids want it, I wouldn’t mind donating my moose to a school or bar or something in West Yellowstone. Send him back to the hills where his life rose.

I think donating mine to a local brewery might be cool, at least they might be among friends and chances are the kids might visit. Maybe tie the donation into free beer to ensure that last part 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Hem
I told my wife it’s like her pension plan if I go early. She will be on easy street 😂 Actually I think my son would take a few and my wife would keep a couple and the rest would be at the garage/ estate sale. I have gone a little over board with the taxidermy ,so not sure, they might just run a bunch to the dump.

I've seen a lot better prices than those, of course it depends on the quality. I'm ready to start getting rid of some so no one has to deal with it.

I honestly don’t know if I will ever get another taxidermy mount. As is, I only have 2 whitetail (one is from 1920’s that my grandfather shot), 1 antelope, a bunch of home done euros and antlered skull plates, and boxes of shed antlers sitting in the garage. No rugs, no furs, no fish, no birds. I used to want 1 6x6 elk mount, 1 decent moose, and 1 sheep. Now I am pretty much over that all except a sheep if I am ever lucky enough to draw. And maybe I’d just euro that too and tan the cape. Euros are just easier to store, move, give away. My wife and kids will never know or appreciate how much trouble I am saving them!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back