Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

USAA for Home and auto?

TimeOnTarget

I had a claim on my home this year and my current carrier is jacking my rates up by 1488.00 per year. Time to go shopping. I'll take my home and auto to whomever gets my business.

Anyone have any recent experiences with USAA? Older reviews seem favorable but nothing recent that I found.

I'm open to other companies as well if you have one to recommend.

Been with USAA for almost 30 years. They’ve been great for me even after some major claims including a totaled 5th wheel and a severe hailstorm that did over 6 figures of damage to house and shop.

So these days you can usually beat USAA price wise if you shop around for home and auto but as stated by others their service when you actually make a claim has been better than most other companies, in my experience and that of other friends.

Check with Farm Bureau insurance. I’ve had USAA and the service was top notch. However the price became too much with just regular increases. I went to AllState and for 7 years it was a mess. I recently moved over to Farm Bureau and the service is on par with USAA and the rates are significantly better.

I’ve had USAA since 2005/6 time frame and only issue I had had was banking. Wife and I have had them for home,auto and banking. Have only done 1 claim for a auto accident and was easy enough to get taken care of.

I do have 1 teenage driver and another one soon so our auto premium is outrageous….

They have been my only insurance company - thanks Dad. No complaints, and all I get is good service. Since I haven't compared rates I have no clue about the competition.

They have great customer service and are super reasonable in the claims process. I view them as THE go-to insurance company for private home and auto. The only gap is they don't do things like boats and other toys - but have some type of cross-marketing thing with Progressive for those. They are also only so-so with general umbrella liability policies.

They stole from me about 20 years ago. Never gave them another look.
Me too. I had them for everything (home x 3, autos x 5) and was going to use them for a mortgage on a rental property. $350 application fee and I was pre-approved. I provided all the info to match what I told them. 1 week before CLOSING they pulled the rug on me and gave me a non-answer as to why they were denying it. Refused the refund.

My total payments at the time to them were more than $350/month and I've never had a claim since. So far they've lost out on over $40k of my money and I'll never go back.

Super weird experience. 800+ credit and household with high income. Costco insurance beat their rates anyway.

I’ve been using USAA insurance (home and auto) for about 25 years. I agree with what has been said. I know I could get cheaper insurance but I’ve never had issues getting a claim settled.

Me too. I had them for everything (home x 3, autos x 5) and was going to use them for a mortgage on a rental property. $350 application fee and I was pre-approved. I provided all the info to match what I told them. 1 week before CLOSING they pulled the rug on me and gave me a non-answer as to why they were denying it. Refused the refund.

My total payments at the time to them were more than $350/month and I've never had a claim since. So far they've lost out on over $40k of my money and I'll never go back.

Super weird experience. 800+ credit and household with high income. Costco insurance beat their rates anyway.
Sorry to hear that. I had a couple of products with them, to include a checking account. One day I noticed money withdrawn or "missing". They told me that I had a payment coming due, so they just took the money. All while I was ahead of schedule on payments.

I was offered no compensation, restitution, or explanation beyond: "Sometimes we just go ahead and draft money from accounts."

USAA since 1979 or 80. Used progressive as well for boats and such. During my 20 years practicing the police arts I would routinely get people calling me regarding the poor service, denial of claims from All State. Some denials were so contrary to the physical evidence I offered to appear if they filed a civil case against All state.
Appeared twice in 20 years as I recall. Never had that with any other insurance company.

Sorry to hear that. I had a couple of products with them, to include a checking account. One day I noticed money withdrawn or "missing". They told me that I had a payment coming due, so they just took the money. All while I was ahead of schedule on payments.

I was offered no compensation, restitution, or explanation beyond: "Sometimes we just go ahead and draft money from accounts."
That would piss me off!

So these days you can usually beat USAA price wise if you shop around for home and auto but as stated by others their service when you actually make a claim has been better than most other companies, in my experience and that of other friends.
Just to be clear, I was referring to home and auto insurance. I would never use USAA for a mortgage or auto loan. Their rates on loans are not competitive.

Back