NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Upland Semi-Auto shotgun recommendations.

I’d throw in the Sx4 by Winchester, they just started making it in 20.

I have owned the franchi and it shoots great. However...they are literally a pain in the thumb to load. There have been multiple posts on different forums about this. I just purchased a montefeltro silver featherweight in 20. It has a 24 inch barrel but I bought it for grouse and woodcock in tight cover. It would be a cold day in hell before I would use these light weights for duck hunting...even if it is a 20 gauge.

The problem with the nice SxS guns I own and chuker huntin is I always return home injured; not about to break my fall with the Merkel or Ithaca. My benelli M2 looks like Ive pryed my truck out of the mud. Been a couple of years since I cleaned it but it keeps killing chuker. I also used the barrel for a splint when I fell and broke my leg, Benelli sent me a new one for free!
My ex and a couple other ladies I know shoot the Benelli ultra light 20 gauge guns. They love them. If I could find one of those in a synthetic stock at 5 lbs. Id buy it.

The problem with the nice SxS guns I own and chuker huntin is I always return home injured; not about to break my fall with the Merkel or Ithaca. My benelli M2 looks like Ive pryed my truck out of the mud. Been a couple of years since I cleaned it but it keeps killing chuker. I also used the barrel for a splint when I fell and broke my leg, Benelli sent me a new one for free!
My ex and a couple other ladies I know shoot the Benelli ultra light 20 gauge guns. They love them. If I could find one of those in a synthetic stock at 5 lbs. Id buy it.
Damn if great minds don't think alike

I have owned the franchi and it shoots great. However...they are literally a pain in the thumb to load. There have been multiple posts on different forums about this. I just purchased a montefeltro silver featherweight in 20. It has a 24 inch barrel but I bought it for grouse and woodcock in tight cover. It would be a cold day in hell before I would use these light weights for duck hunting...even if it is a 20 gauge.
Why not? Barrel too short?

Why not? Barrel too short?
Regarding the first half, several people have complained about Franchi and Benelli's pinching your thumb when you load a shell into the tube. I'd only heard of it on pump actions though. No idea about the second half.

What did you mean when you said she has trouble with the breach ? If it is the mechanics of the auto loader, take a look at the Beretta Over/Under 686 in 20 ga. or Browning Citori. My wife loves her 686 in 12 ga. Actually we both have one. Very light, easy to carry, and simple breach mechanics.

Toted my 20 gauge Beretta Urika with 28" barrel countless miles the last two falls and have shot plenty of birds with it. It is definitely my go to upland gun. I couldn't be any happier with it. I actually came across it a couple summers ago in the used section at Scheel's. Came with a Kick-eez recoil pad and a 5 piece set of Briley choke tubes. I only paid $600 for the gun. I still feel a little bit guilty every time I pull it out, but the feeling quickly goes away!

I have a few of the ones talked about;
Benelli Legacy, 28”
Winchester SX3, 28”
Benelli Montefeltro, 28”
20 gauge franchi affinity, 26”

I am impressed with that action. The affinity is hardly mine anymore, as my wife has claimed it for herself. It fits her small frame and height at 5’6”. She shot a box and a half of 3” on duck opener and it never bothered her.

Franchi would be a great pick if it fits. I am going to pick up an SX4 because it fits me better. Fit > Brand every time.

I have a few of the ones talked about;
Benelli Legacy, 28”
Winchester SX3, 28”
Benelli Montefeltro, 28”
20 gauge franchi affinity, 26”

I am impressed with that action. The affinity is hardly mine anymore, as my wife has claimed it for herself. It fits her small frame and height at 5’6”. She shot a box and a half of 3” on duck opener and it never bothered her.
Appreciate you weighing in. Is there much a difference to you between the affinity and benelli?

I have a 12 Gauge Franchi Affinity and it's been my primary duck/pheasant gun for 6 years I'm not recommending that gun in particular, but can vouch that you should look at Franchi in 20ga. I've been very pleased.
I was looking at the 12 gauge for waterfowl/ upland hunting because of the price. Would you go with recommend another gun instead?

I was looking at the 12 gauge for waterfowl/ upland hunting because of the price. Would you go with recommend another gun instead?
I've been very happy with mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I had some ejection problems with cheap Rio shells when I first got it, but that was short-lived. I don't shoot trap or light target loads, so I can't speak to how it handles those super light loads. Mine has been very reliable though, including in icy conditions. I was on a duck hunt this year where I could feel ice spraying my face coming off the bolt when it cycled. I got the first run of them that came out. I have the 3" model. At the time it was the best semi-auto in that price range. It's lightweight, and fits me perfectly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back