BOSS 20 gauge 2 3/4" #5 for ducks

USAF Ret

I hunt small water for wood ducks. I recently ordered a Beretta A300 Ultima and plan on using it exclusively for duck hunting. I did quite a bit of research on suggested 20 gauge non-toxic loads. I was really impressed with the BOSS shotshells and the company in general. After reading, I settled on the 2 3/4" #5 shot.

Anyone using these for ducks? Thanks.

I posted this on your other thread but will repost here.

We’ve used Boss bismuth 5s this year. They are duck killers. I think less cripples but I might be bismuth biased. Boss are a little finicky - shells aren’t waterproof. Son dunked a box or so by mistake. A bunch would not fire. Firing pin dings in the primer. We had one frustrating duck hunt. Ducks would come in and maybe the first shell went off but not the second. We threw the wet group away and solved the problem.

We’re on our third Boss case for the season.

I’ll continue buying bismuth going forward for ducks.

Last edited:
Love everything but paying for them. I think you'll be happy. My brother has spent a ton of time in their shop (and giving them money) and says they are good people. I just know if I do my part, they kill stuff from doves to honks.

I hunt small water for wood ducks. I recently ordered a Beretta A300 Ultima and plan on using it exclusively for duck hunting. I did quite a bit of research on suggested 20 gauge non-toxic loads. I was really impressed with the BOSS shotshells and the company in general. After reading, I settled on the 2 3/4" #5 shot.

I have used #5 Boss on ducks and pheasants. No complaints. I shot a giant canada with a load of Bi #5s, but that was probably a home rolled version and definitely an up-close head shot.

Been shooting some vintage guns the last 3 seasons, and have shot boss 2 3/4 #5s out of 12 and 20s when cross over with waterfowl is possible. Jump shot a few ducks. I’ve killed quite a few pheasants, grouse, huns, and quail. Even the plated bismuth fractures some. I’ve never tried the buffered stuff.

I've used 5's in my 12, 20, and now 28ga. You won't be disappointed. Ducks, honkers, and now a swan. Pick your shots and you wont be disappointed. I probably wont hunt with anything but the 28ga unless it's spring snows or straight honker hunts with lots of shooters.

swan and ducks.jpg

Our crew has had great luck with them and the Boss owners are good folks. Better than steel, lot cheaper than tungsten

I've used 5's in my 12, 20, and now 28ga. You won't be disappointed. Ducks, honkers, and now a swan. Pick your shots and you wont be disappointed. I probably wont hunt with anything but the 28ga unless it's spring snows or straight honker hunts with lots of shooters.

View attachment 311074
28 gauge. Awesome! I wish I had my little Verona 28 gauge over and under I sold back about 15 years ago.

Our crew has had great luck with them and the Boss owners are good folks. Better than steel, lot cheaper than tungsten
I submitted for a military discount and they got back to me immediately. I thought that was really great customer service. And, yes, the price per box is very competitive.

Not to side bar too much, but have you looked into tungsten shot? With their high density you can shoot a 20 gauge with the lethality of a 12 or 10 gauge

They suck when really cold as well. I had numerous shells brand new from box straight into my pocket never close to moisture not fire. Dents in primers. They are for waterfowl hunting “water”. They better work around moisture and cold. Way too expensive for that crap. All other shells were firing so wasn’t gun. I also have not seen a better kill rate. I feel that has a lot more to do with pattern distance shot size, shooter. Imo

I have, but would not buy without a huge military discount.
Ya they can be expensive. Thought about loading your own? Shotgun can be pretty simple to load, don't even need a press for most of them. I did the math and I think tungsten steel mix in 12 gauge could be made for around $2 a round. I would imagine 20 could be reduced because the largest cost is the tungsten

Ya they can be expensive. Thought about loading your own? Shotgun can be pretty simple to load, don't even need a press for most of them. I did the math and I think tungsten steel mix in 12 gauge could be made for around $2 a round. I would imagine 20 could be reduced because the largest cost is the tungsten
I already load rifle and pistol and space is a premium. I thought about loading shotgun, but not sure where I would put a loading station. Not to mention, I only duck hunt a few times a year so it might not be cost effective.

I already load rifle and pistol and space is a premium. I thought about loading shotgun, but not sure where I would put a loading station. Not to mention, I only duck hunt a few times a year so it might not be cost effective.
If you get some time maybe run through the numbers, not many components needed for it and you can buy most things in lots of 100.

I'll find the website that talks about load components later

If you get some time maybe run through the numbers, not many components needed for it and you can buy most things in lots of 100.

I'll find the website that talks about load components later

I was computing costs on reloading 1.125 oz loads of Bismuth and 1.25 oz loads of Lead for my 12s last night. The numbers are $34.56/box and $10.62/box using the best pricing I could find. I don't think you will beat those numbers greatly.

I was computing costs on reloading 1.125 oz loads of Bismuth and 1.25 oz loads of Lead for my 12s last night. The numbers are $34.56/box and $10.62/box using the best pricing I could find. I don't think you will beat those numbers greatly.
I doubt it as well. Tungsten is just so expensive

I have used the 2.75" twenty gauge shells as well as 3" mags. Good results from both on ducks and geese. Keep in mind that this is small farm pond hunting.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back