PEAX Equipment

Unit 7 doe tags?

lionsroaar

Hi everyone, my son and I are heading to Wyoming this fall for our first antelope hunt with a couple of friends. We've never hunted out of state before (we're from California) and we have authorization to hunt a 4k acre private ranch in unit 7 but I'm a little unclear on the tag situation. From what I'm seeing it may be difficult for us to get buck tags as none of us have preference points. Can we just apply for doe tags to make sure we get some tags for the area we have access to? Are the doe tags guaranteed or just much better odds?

I've been browsing this forum a lot and am picking up a lot of valuable info so thanks to everyone for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Jason

Looks like you could apply for the buck tags in the "special" and you should draw. It shows 20 tags available in 2016 and zero applicants. It's just that it will cost more. I think around $500 versus $300.

The type 7 doe license, which is a later hunt starting October 25th looks like an easy draw. So you could apply for that and draw two tags each. Or you could apply for the type 6 doe license which is the same season as the buck season, but odds of drawing are only about 1 in 3.

Maybe apply for the type 1 (buck) license and pay the extra money for the special draw, and also apply for a type 6 license and take your chances. You should get at least one buck license that way. It really depends on how much you want to spend and when you want to go. Personally I would just apply for two type 7 licenses.

It's great that you already have access to private land.

Thank you, that helps clear things up. We're going to concentrate on the type 7 licenses and start to accrue some PP's for the future.

Hate to rain on your parade, but the G&F site is not showing any Type 7 tags available for unit 7 this year. Last year there was only 50 Type 6 tags available, so that may be tough to draw any even though it's a random draw. The number of tags offered won't be known until late April, but that still gives a month before the end of the application period on 5/31 to decide what you want to do.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That really screws up my plans of hunting that private ranch. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks guys. That really screws up my plans of hunting that private ranch. Back to the drawing board I guess.

If you have the extra money for the Special Draw for a buck,then put in for that. Then also put in for the Type 6 doe tags in the Random Draw. There is even a box you can check that you don't want them if you don't draw the buck tag in that unit in case you don't want to go with just one tag.

The type 7 license could still be added later, I believe. So pay attention when the actual quotas are released. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's definitely possible. I know of an elk unit they do that. It gets added later in the year. Not sure if that's historically been done for unit 7 antelope though.

The type 7 license could still be added later, I believe. So pay attention when the actual quotas are released. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, and I meant to mention that earlier when I said the Final Regs. come out in late April, so a guy needs to check closely to see if something has changed. That's a big reason why the elk draw shouldn't be held until the other ones are and the Final Regs. are published. I wait now until the middle of May to apply for deer and antelope so if anything changes I'm on it and there's really no sense in giving them the money way ahead of time anyway.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back