Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Turkey Question: Jake or Hen

awapiti

I know I am putting myself out here and might catch some flak...but I honestly know nothing about turkey hunting. I called this bird in Saturday afternoon, I had my sons with me and this was their first hunt. I told them not to shoot this bird, because I was not absolutely sure it was a jake.

turkeyhunt2011010.jpg
[/IMG]

Did I make the wrong call?

It was pretty cool though as this turkey let me practice my turkey calling by hanging around for about 20 minutes and even posed for some photos.

Another question, I had a gobbler hang up at about 70 yards. He was on the opposite ridge from us and would not come closer, he just walked up and down the ridge. He finally lost interest and walked away. We tried to circle around him and cut him off, but without luck. What should we have done? Or is that just part of turkey hunting.

Eventhough, we did not bring home a bird...we all had a great time.

turkeyhunt2011020.jpg

thanks in advance for your kind comments. :D

Probably best to only shoot a bird that has a beard.On rare occasions you might come across a bearded hen but not likely.Jakes generally have stubby little beards that stick straight out and gobble a bunch.especially if called in.As for your second scenario I've found that after locating a turkey gobbling from afar its best to put yourself in the optimal position before working the bird.In other words,get on the same ridge,preferably uphill.Turkeys don't often come downhill to calling,similar to elk.If the gobbler is on the move then hurry to get in front of him,chances are he has it in his head to get somewhere and won't be turned.If the bird is gobbling sporadically but staying put,get close and wait him out with soft calling...he might sneak in on you.Trial and error will fine tune your skills,after awhile you'll start to get a sixth sense on how to treat a given situation.

I'm not much of a turkey hunting, but for the most part, any jake I seem to run into comes screaming into calls. I'm guessing a hen, but I'm probably wrong.

Notice the fuzzy light grey feathers on her head? That's a sure sign of a hen. Hen's feathers generally appear more drab than either jakes or gobblers.

Good job on exercising some patience.

In Iowa it is only "LEGAL TO SHOOT A BEARDED" turkey. I see no beard on that bird. Not sure what your state rules are, but I would probably guess that they are similar. It might to good to read up on the rules and regs.

As far as the "hung up" bird. Sometimes they are just plain stubborn. That's the way the hunting goes. If a bird is hung up and NOT responding I have two options: 1. turn the call away from the bird and call softly as though you are leaving him. 2. Stop calling all together. He may wonder where the hen went and come to investigate. Once a bird seems commited I often stop calling all together.

good luck to all
the dog

Thanks for the help guys. Going out again later in the week. Hope to get a couple if the weather cooperates.

The best scenery is the last pic with your boys out there! Way to go---great hunt!
Yep, a hen...anyone know of a state that requires a "male" turkey? Beared bird is law here. Oh, and last I knew, Jakes were illegal in MS...Is that still true?? Just wondering...
If I knew the answer to a hung up burd, I would be richer than Knight and Hale and the Drury Boys combined!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back