Tikka .308

Just curious to you guys with the Tikkas, are you getting this performance from the factory (stock, bedding)? I love my 700s and can get good grouping but they normally require a little work. Apologies to the op, don’t want to hijack anything!
I took mine out of the box (Veil Wideland, .308), put the Talley rings on it. . ., got it on paper, and this was the first three shots at 100 yards using Privi Partizan 168 gr. Winchester Match bullets (not exactly "bragging ammo"). The high one is my 11 yo taking his first shot with a big rifle. I do a 200 yd. zero, so this was darn close to perfect.Tikka.jpg

Attachments

• 100 MOA.jpg
    100 MOA.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have alot of rifles in my safe, but my Tikka T3 in 30-06 is always my choice to bring in the truck or pack. Accuracy and ease of shouldering are the most important factors for my decision making...it just plain shoots.

I got an accurate load in my stainless Tikka T3 lite in .270 with IMR4350.
Fireformed Nozler brass resized with a shoulder bump of 0.002".
130 gr Barnes TTSX seated 0.070 off the lands.
My most accurate 5-shot load had a muzzle velocity standard deviation of 6.6 fps
Bullet seating depth and powder charge affected my accuracy and velocity variation the most for my rifle.

For an inexpensive, all-weather, lightweight rifle is very accurate.

Since the Tikka T3x is relatively inexpensive, it does have a lot of plastic.
Plastic stock with no aluminum bedding block, plastic bolt release, plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard.
It could cost more than the rifle to upgrade with aftermarket parts, so I will live with all that plastic.
If I was going to replace, it would be the bottom metal which apparently has cracked for some,
and others report a substantial improvement in accuracy with bottom metal:
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/5/7/review-tikka-t3x-lite/

As a swede: half my friends who hunt, and their mothers, own Tikkas - and mostly the T3 or T3x. This says something, considering our laws limit the number of rifles we can own (for hunting) to 6.

They all shoot really well from factory and those who wish to improve on that handload their ammo. My neighbour, who is a fellow long range capercaillie hunter, loads the Nossler BTHP 168gr and it shoots really well in his T3x.

I've messed with a few Tikka's at this point. They are always great out of the box and fairly easy to improve. I really think they are a better go-to rifle at this point than the 700 (which is STILL a great gun).

My wife and I own 2 Tikkas, T3 Lite 308 and T3x Lite in 6.5CM. Only change was a $10 trigger spring. Both shoot sub MOA with factory ammo at 100 and beyond. One thing I noticed is that Tikkas seem to have "slow" barrels. Over a chrono, factory shoots slower in the Tikkas then other factory rifles we have seen. Not really an issue when my wife can cloverleaf her 308 at 250 yards. I was hoping for a 280AI from Tikka but got tired of waiting. We bought a Savage 110 ultralight in 280AI. Funny though, the "Ultralight" is only 3 oz. lighter than the Tikka, shoots only marginally better, and costs twice as much. Not unhappy with the Savage, but wouldn't own it if Tikka had come through.

As a swede: half my friends who hunt, and their mothers, own Tikkas - and mostly the T3 or T3x. This says something, considering our laws limit the number of rifles we can own (for hunting) to 6.

They all shoot really well from factory and those who wish to improve on that handload their ammo. My neighbour, who is a fellow long range capercaillie hunter, loads the Nossler BTHP 168gr and it shoots really well in his T3x.
I had to google 'capercaillie', that thing is cool.

We really need to get you guys some domesticated fryin' chickens sent over there. Those things are too frisky to hunt alone.

My T3 Lite 30-06 165gr interlocs over 56gr of Ramshot Big Game 2730fps.
BandC medalist stock. Drop in fit. I have added a 3d printed comb raiser
It worked this morning just fine on this fallow

Attachments

• IMG_20201108_090359.jpg
    IMG_20201108_090359.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201108_090330.jpg
    IMG_20201108_090330.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201108_212248.jpg
    IMG_20201108_212248.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
It just flat out works. This 308 is basically stock other than a rattle can paint job and a steel recoil lug. Shoots very well. 150ttsx took this small bull.

Attachments

• 20201016_085126.jpg
    20201016_085126.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
I actually like the T3X stock. Im not saying you get after-market quality in a factory stock, but there's nothing wrong with it. I mentioned before that I put vertical grip extenders on mine. They're very comfortable and practical. But yeah, they are kinda ugly, but I really don't care much about that in a hunting rifle. I'm a pragmatist and tend to be a little hard on my equipment anyway.
I like mine as well. T3x lite in 308, blued barrel, for the same reasons. The action is just fine ,in my opinion and I have no issues with the stock. It's a tool I hunt with and all of my shots to date are inside 100 yards. I'm hard on my tools as well. I "still hunt", in Northern California.

I'm new here. Just reading through the thread. Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited:
I’ve been debating on upgrading. Might have to do that. Almost ordered a McMillan edge for it but the damn price on those have really went up this year
Brockel, grayboe is supposed to be coming out with the Outlander for the tikka anytime. I might hold out and see if they run the 20% off black friday sale again. I would like to have the outlander for my tikka 300wm, can't decide if I want the adjustable check rest or not though. I'm kinda like you, I probably shouldn't mess with it since it shoots so well. I just can't help myself.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back