Caribou Gear Tarp

Texas nilgai

Thanks again, LT. Now I have some questions about access. I see on the map provided by the USFWS that areas 2, 3, 4, 5, & 8 are the only ones where rifle hunting is allowed. Is this correct? Since #4 is across the ship channel I won’t be able to hunt there. So if I’m willing to get off the road and get away from the crowd and hike into the bush a ways, what areas would be the most promising.
I’m a little confused about road access. The map shows a ‘vehicle access road’ in red ink which barely traverses the western edge of the refuge. Is it permissible to drive vehicles on the gravel and/or the dirt roads?
To my knowledge, no rifle hunt has access to Unit 4. A lot of the bowhunters will kayak or boat across the ship channel and hunt unit 4, though. The "vehicle access road" is the only one you are allowed to drive on. The remaining gravel and dirt roads are only accessible by foot or bike/e-bike. I have not hunted the unit yet, so as far as promising areas, ill leave that to LostTexican.

I'll be down there in January, as well. Which hunt will you be on?
MLB44, I will be there January 19-21. Probably get there on the 17th to set up, scout and attend the meeting on the 18th, then hunt for three days. You also?

MLB44, I will be there January 19-21. Probably get there on the 17th to set up, scout and attend the meeting on the 18th, then hunt for three days. You also?
I'll be down there the same weekend. Best of luck to ya! I believe they stopped having in person orientations a few years back due to COVID. We should get an email with orientation info about a week before the hunt.

I called the NWR office recently to get more information than is available on the website. The guy told me that there will be an orientation on the Thursday before the hunt. Hope to meet you then!
Are you staying at the county park or at a motel?

I called the NWR office recently to get more information than is available on the website. The guy told me that there will be an orientation on the Thursday before the hunt. Hope to meet you then!
Are you staying at the county park or at a motel?
Good to know, thanks! Ill keep you posted if I hear anything else worth knowing. Ill be staying at an Airbnb. I figured I'd want a hot shower and a good night sleep after some tough hunting!

Thanks again, LT. Now I have some questions about access. I see on the map provided by the USFWS that areas 2, 3, 4, 5, & 8 are the only ones where rifle hunting is allowed. Is this correct? Since #4 is across the ship channel I won’t be able to hunt there. So if I’m willing to get off the road and get away from the crowd and hike into the bush a ways, what areas would be the most promising.
I’m a little confused about road access. The map shows a ‘vehicle access road’ in red ink which barely traverses the western edge of the refuge. Is it permissible to drive vehicles on the gravel and/or the dirt roads?
From what I remember the only roads that allowed motor travel was the two main roads that intersect that make two boundaries on the refuge, all foot or bike after that!

Would there ever be a need for one of those game sleds? It looks like if you have to walk through a swamp with a heavy load of meat the game cart would get bogged down in the mud.

Would there ever be a need for one of those game sleds? It looks like if you have to walk through a swamp with a heavy load of meat the game cart would get bogged down in the mud.
Buddy…..GOOD LUCK dragging a single Nilgai cut up in a sled!!!! lol I get what you’re saying and you’re right, if it rains a drop it will turn everything to mud, my plan would be game cart with a meat pack in the truck and some cordage to hang your meat bags off the ground and under some limbs/cover so you don’t have the vultures eating it while you’re hauling back and forth(if it rains). If no rain, game cart all the way!!! Don’t forget to keep your shooting iron on you!!! It will be your luck you’ll be passing herds of Nilgai while you’re packing out!

Last edited:
It appears that on the NWR map there are ‘vehicle access roads’ that run the length of the refuge. Can we legally park along the road and use that spot as a staging area? I assume we can hike or bike on the gravel or dirt roads

It appears that on the NWR map there are ‘vehicle access roads’ that run the length of the refuge. Can we legally park along the road and use that spot as a staging area? I assume we can hike or bike on the gravel or dirt roads
That’s what most people do, I’m pumped for you guys !!

I didn't hunt that Refuge, but I drew and hunted a different one like 3-4 years ago. It was a great/fun hunt. It was flat where I was so a game cart was very helpful. I'd take one if you're able. Good luck and have fun. The meat is pretty tasty!

I didn't hunt that Refuge, but I drew and hunted a different one like 3-4 years ago. It was a great/fun hunt. It was flat where I was so a game cart was very helpful. I'd take one if you're able. Good luck and have fun. The meat is pretty tasty!
Yeah, I’m planning to get a game cart as I understand that I may have to hike quite a ways with a heavy load if I get lucky. Academy lists one for $65 rated for 500 pounds. The reviews on it are pretty positive but they all say to replace the connecting pins with bolts. No problem there.

Yeah, I’m planning to get a game cart as I understand that I may have to hike quite a ways with a heavy load if I get lucky. Academy lists one for $65 rated for 500 pounds. The reviews on it are pretty positive but they all say to replace the connecting pins with bolts. No problem there.
That’ll work!! Some of those pins are there to make it easier to fold up, either way it will be perfect.

That’ll work!! Some of those pins are there to make it easier to fold up, either way it will be perfect.
I read in the Laguna Atascosa NWR information that there is no park access from the county park. Does that mean just motor vehicles or does that include bikes and hikers?

I read in the Laguna Atascosa NWR information that there is no park access from the county park. Does that mean just motor vehicles or does that include bikes and hikers?
"hunters are not allowed to enter or exit the refuge hunt unit via Adolphe Thomae Jr County park" - Quote from the Archery hunt orientation video. I'd be shocked if no one every broke that rule, but I wont be risking it! I was originally planning on staying there, but would be almost a 40 min drive to the entrance.

What the guy above me said. I can’t stress this enough on those hunts: don’t break any rules regardless of how truly stupid they sound. Those Feds are terrible to deal with if they’re even close to being able to cut you an infraction they do it. I watched a dudes truck get tossed because he had corn in the bed and a few open bottles in the truck….reminded me of border check points back when they actually cared if you were trying to smuggle something across the border.

Thanks for that. I don’t plan to break any of the rules; I just need to understand what the rules are.

Thanks for that. I don’t plan to break any of the rules; I just need to understand what the rules are.
I’m sorry man, I didn’t mean to imply that you would do that! Was just saying that the fed wardens can be extreme and they don’t seem to care that their regs aren’t the most clear to communicate.

Lost Texican, how is the wireless service in Laguna Atascosa? I have OnX and can use that by downloading some maps but it’s nice to be able to pinpoint your location on the live map.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back