Caribou Gear

Texas nilgai

Great looking animals and great tasting. I got a cow back in 2020, eating some of the summer sausage for lunch today.

I watched several videos of these Texas hunts. Didn't look very challenging. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Mine was challenging due to the heat and humidity. Mine was also not a ranch hunt but on a wildlife refuge down in far S Texas across the bay from South Padre Island.
Yep, apples and oranges when you’re hunting the National refuge
its a very challenging hunt
nilgie are tough critters = a hard hitting rifle to anchor them , super eye site and nose
bow hunting is very low odds
add in rough thick brush, In swamp mud and hunting pressure
dead bull in center of picture in laguna bahia unit it’s a lot wetter lots of times F4B9262D-0901-4BA1-A081-795DC3147ABA.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine was challenging due to the heat and humidity. Mine was also not a ranch hunt but on a wildlife refuge down in far S Texas across the bay from South Padre Island.
We are heading down to Laguna Atascosa NWR for Nilgai next week! Got any advice?

Yep, apples and oranges when you’re hunting the National refuge
its a very challenging hunt
nilgie are tough critters = a hard hitting rifle to anchor them , super eye site and nose
bow hunting is very low odds
add in rough thick brush, In swamp mud and hunting pressure
You hit the nail on the head with everything

We are heading down to Laguna Atascosa NWR for Nilgai next week! Got any advice?
Congratulations on drawing that tag!

The area to hunt is very large with no vehicle access which limits hunting pressure once away from the main road where you can park your truck. But be aware that this also means that everything must be brought out on your back. You can put a pop up blind up and leave it for the duration of your hunt. I hunted out of one for a day and half but then moved to a different part of the hunting area and just took my chair and put it in thick brush overlooking an area where many trails cross. There were quite a few people who I saw just walking the hunt area throughout the day, none of these people were successful. I think sitting and being patient is the way to go.

If you have OnX, by zooming in you can see the trails through the grass. I would look for a spot where you can see a good distance out.

The FWS officers on the refuge were great to work with. I shot my cow on the last morning of the hunt and an officer drove up when I was unloading my game cart and she offered to help me get the animal out. I gladly accepted and I am glad I did. With the sand and brush, pulling even a cow out was difficult. Take a game cart if you have access to one. They will tell you in the orientation class that officers and volunteers are not there to help retrieve game. While this is true, the officers that I met were all helpful and want the experience to be a good one and safe for all parties.

When I was there I had temperatures in the 90s so I worked quickly to gut the animal and get it to the cooler.

Take insect spray, snake gators, lots of water, and cleaning supplies for your gun/rifle. Being next to the bay and with high humidity, I did not want rust forming on anything.

Shoot me a PM and if I think of anything else I will send it over to you

Congratulations on drawing that tag!

The area to hunt is very large with no vehicle access which limits hunting pressure once away from the main road where you can park your truck. But be aware that this also means that everything must be brought out on your back. You can put a pop up blind up and leave it for the duration of your hunt. I hunted out of one for a day and half but then moved to a different part of the hunting area and just took my chair and put it in thick brush overlooking an area where many trails cross. There were quite a few people who I saw just walking the hunt area throughout the day, none of these people were successful. I think sitting and being patient is the way to go.

If you have OnX, by zooming in you can see the trails through the grass. I would look for a spot where you can see a good distance out.

The FWS officers on the refuge were great to work with. I shot my cow on the last morning of the hunt and an officer drove up when I was unloading my game cart and she offered to help me get the animal out. I gladly accepted and I am glad I did. With the sand and brush, pulling even a cow out was difficult. Take a game cart if you have access to one. They will tell you in the orientation class that officers and volunteers are not there to help retrieve game. While this is true, the officers that I met were all helpful and want the experience to be a good one and safe for all parties.

When I was there I had temperatures in the 90s so I worked quickly to gut the animal and get it to the cooler.

Take insect spray, snake gators, lots of water, and cleaning supplies for your gun/rifle. Being next to the bay and with high humidity, I did not want rust forming on anything.

Shoot me a PM and if I think of anything else I will send it over to you
Also use your rifle @ whatevEr range produces 1700+ foot lbs of energy (7mm-.375hh ), this animals are tougher than elk , see and sent bettEr then most North American game

Also use your rifle @ whatevEr range produces 1700+ foot lbs of energy (7mm-.375hh ), this animals are tougher than elk , see and sent bettEr then most North American game
35 HRC 250 grain @ 2875fps is good nilgai medicine it looks like ( not I in picture)
I am buying a 35 whelen ASAP though
69A0AC81-22A5-4C2B-AEC8-A1491C76746F.jpeg84335674-90D5-4A01-A98E-3D830E84FDCF.jpeg

Those are awesome animals. Congratulations.
I mounted a blue bull on a shoulder mount last year sometime. It came from Texas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back