Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Success(2017) in CO. GMU 4 or 441 ?

SilverDollars

Has anyone had success(2017) in CO. GMU 4 or 441 ? I'm just wondering if we have any successful forum members who just finished hunting there. And, what was the weather conditions when you were there?

A lot of hunters there. Depends when you are going but usually 1'+ of snow (3rd Rifle). Terrain is pretty rough and getting away from everyone and the outfitters is a pain. Went last year and saw one cow, but GMU 3 had a good size herd on it that I could just watch from the top of a hill.

My dad and I will be chasing speed goats in unit 4 here this next weekend, if no ones chimed in with a weather report I'll update you when I get back. You headed up first season?

Howdy. I was wondering if anyone had some early bow or rifle season's luck. I have the 4th rifle season and I am hunting for any old bull left behind the migration. I'm expecting cold and snow by then. I figured there would be some postings from there by now.

4th rifle can be tough if the weather rolls in and kicks the elk off of the FS. I don't think the bull tag is good for unit 3, but the cow tag is. They migrate that way. Look for chunks of blm close to the highway if they a good snow. Bakers peak is a good place to start. The mountains got a good amount of snow in the last 2 days, but I bet it melts off.

Was up there last 3 days of archery(life got in the way of hunting this year).... ran into a bunch of guys that hunted 214 coming put thru us. Saw nothing two out of the three days.... spent one day(5 hours or so)chasing a herd of 20 with a 5x5 in it. Couldnt quite get in the right position on them for a shot, at the end heard the 5x5 bugle and get cut off by a big bugle and never saw or heard them after that. Buddy shot a 5x5 on opening day up there.

Good to hear you had some fun chasing them! I guess plenty of cows will be coming off there for a while now. I will be there scouting on the last 2 days of the 3rd rifle(for cows only) season(Nov 11-12). I plan on scouting for "orange"(hunters) so I know where I'm not going to be hunting. It is nice to cancel out lots of pointless real estate and focus on the other areas free of "orange". Then, I have a couple of more days to scout before the 4th rifle(mature bull) season kicks in(Nov 15-19).

I love a good late season hunt for the old monarchs. Give me some fresh tracking snow.... Yeehaw and... Spot me some distant meadow showing a small group of elk (feeding) tracks in the snow, and I'm off to them. Gotta love that spot, plan, and stalk. Be mobile, camp light and close by, just stay cross winded to your hot zone.

:)

Good to hear you had some fun chasing them! I guess plenty of cows will be coming off there for a while now. I will be there scouting on the last 2 days of the 3rd rifle(for cows only) season(Nov 11-12). I plan on scouting for "orange"(hunters) so I know where I'm not going to be hunting. It is nice to cancel out lots of pointless real estate and focus on the other areas free of "orange". Then, I have a couple of more days to scout before the 4th rifle(mature bull) season kicks in(Nov 15-19).

I love a good late season hunt for the old monarchs. Give me some fresh tracking snow.... Yeehaw and... Spot me some distant meadow showing a small group of elk (feeding) tracks in the snow, and I'm off to them. Gotta love that spot, plan, and stalk. Be mobile, camp light and close by, just stay cross winded to your hot zone.

:)
Howdy Siverdollars. Just wondering how your hunt went? The thought of not hunting elk this year was driving me nuts! So when EE004OR4 popped up on the CO. leftover list I couldn't help myself. Wondering if I'm crazy?

Anyone else on here ever have successful hunt with this tag EE004OR4? I guess I just need a confidence booster beings I'll be hunting solo and the season is over Thanksgiving and I won't be spending time with my family. Hopefully I can atleast find a fat cow to bring home.

Back