Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Stone Glacier Skyscraper

MTLabrador

Now that the tent has been out for a few years, has anyone on here had much of an opportunity to use one? Any comparisons to the Hillebergs? I like the price and weight better on the SG than the Hillebergs if there’s not a big difference in performance.

I purchased one this year and am happy with it. Light, easy to set up and roomy especially for 1 person. I’m 6’1 and had plenty of space above both head and feet when I was laying and sitting up. I didn’t run into any terrible weather when using mine so can’t speak for how it performs in snow, rain, big wind, etc. but based on how secure and tight you can get everything I’m willing to bet it’d be fine.

I have a buddy who uses this: https://www.slingfin.com/products/portal-2. It has more mesh and will get you through 3+ seasons, plus it weighs almost 2 lbs. LESS than the SG tent (which is just an SG branded Slingfin CrossBow. SG must just pay them a licensing fee to rebrand their tent?) If you don't need a full double walled version, the Portal 2 is a good option.

Slingfin makes some sweet tents; the Wind Saber is the alpine/mountain hunting tent if you find yourself above treeline a lot or perhaps combine your K2 summit attempt with a sheep hunt....

Hilleberg is a fantastic company too. Swedish made. I really like my Akto. The best part is you really can't go wrong with either.

I have a buddy who uses this: https://www.slingfin.com/products/portal-2. It has more mesh and will get you through 3+ seasons, plus it weighs almost 2 lbs. LESS than the SG tent (which is just an SG branded Slingfin CrossBow. SG must just pay them a licensing fee to rebrand their tent?) If you don't need a full double walled version, the Portal 2 is a good option.

Slingfin makes some sweet tents; the Wind Saber is the alpine/mountain hunting tent if you find yourself above treeline a lot or perhaps combine your K2 summit attempt with a sheep hunt....

Hilleberg is a fantastic company too. Swedish made. I really like my Akto. The best part is you really can't go wrong with either.
I have a good summer/3 season tent, so I’m going double wall if I do get another tent. Thanks for the info. I would probably already own an Akto if I wasn’t too tall for it, it looks like a great tent.

Initial thoughts are they are solid. Good ergonomic designs and can handle some serious shit. It was down to the hilleberg or the sg and I'm sure both are great but I'm giving my money to the local outfit. Have been extremely happy with them over the years and this shouldn't be any different.

Initial thoughts are they are solid. Good ergonomic designs and can handle some serious shit. It was down to the hilleberg or the sg and I'm sure both are great but I'm giving my money to the local outfit. Have been extremely happy with them over the years and this shouldn't be any different.
It’s also one of relatively few tents I’ve found that has more than enough length for a long bag.

It’s also one of relatively few tents I’ve found that has more than enough length for a long bag.
That is also correct, plenty of leg and height to be able to sit up as well. Just all around a pretty sound tent IMO.

If I was planning on encountering a lot of snow I’d go hilleberg. If I expected to use it as more of a 3 season I think I’d try the sg.
I’m 5’9” and my head touches the top of my nammatj when I sit up and I don’t think the vents would provide much air flow on hot days.

One thing that I've noticed over the last few years is how much the tent body angle influences functional length on a long bag, especially a lofty one. Not really a great way to tell without getting into one, but user pics help a lot.

An extreme case being the Nallo vs. Kaitum. I don't fit lengthwise in a Nallo -- 86" interior length -- without significant contact at the foot. I have length to spare in the Kaitum -- also 86" long -- because the body has two vertical ends instead of one. The Kaitum is heavier of course (7oz more than the Nallo GT), because it needs the second vestibule to make the two flat ends work. That said it's also wider, 55" in the middle, and has a little more vestibule area in total.

I think the SG would be a great tent, I'd love to give one a try sometime. I hate to even say it but $595 is really not bad for that tier of tent in 2021. To me the most direct Hilleberg comparison is the Allak, which is my all time favorite tent thus far. I swear it was 91" long when I had one, current spec says 88" on Allak 2 and 91" on Allak 3.

One thing that I've noticed over the last few years is how much the tent body angle influences functional length on a long bag, especially a lofty one. Not really a great way to tell without getting into one, but user pics help a lot.

An extreme case being the Nallo vs. Kaitum. I don't fit lengthwise in a Nallo -- 86" interior length -- without significant contact at the foot. I have length to spare in the Kaitum -- also 86" long -- because the body has two vertical ends instead of one. The Kaitum is heavier of course (7oz more than the Nallo GT), because it needs the second vestibule to make the two flat ends work. That said it's also wider, 55" in the middle, and has a little more vestibule area in total.

I think the SG would be a great tent, I'd love to give one a try sometime. I hate to even say it but $595 is really not bad for that tier of tent in 2021. To me the most direct Hilleberg comparison is the Allak, which is my all time favorite tent thus far. I swear it was 91" long when I had one, current spec says 88" on Allak 2 and 91" on Allak 3.
The Allak looks like an awesome tent, but like you said, $1095 vs $595 is a pretty tough price difference to swallow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back