Southwest Wisconsin turkey hunt

Northwoods

Are any Wisconsin folks willing to give me some feedback on my plans for turkey hunting in Wisconsin this year? I drew zone 1 for the first week of May. I think I know where I want to hunt but I’m not sure what to expect.

I don’t hunt in southwest Wisconsin but right across the river. Look for steep oak ridges with flat tops, maybe where 2 ravines come together. The turkeys like to roost at the top of the ridge but sail to the bottom if they are bumped. Use the terrain to your advantage. If you have one gobbling don’t be afraid to cut the distance and set up just below the top of a ridge between you and the bird. They will stick their head over the to and BOOM!

I live in zone 1. Turkey numbers are down, and we got 18" of snow on the ground right now so there could be some winter kill. Weather can be anything from 70's and sunshine to thunderstorms or 30's and snow. The big flocks will be broken up by then and gobblers will be easier to hunt. Green up could just be starting, and farmers will be in the fields. Morel time and trout fishing. Lots of people on public grounds but most quit early. Ridge tops with big timber and nearby open fields are my go to. I'll be hunting with 3 friends that week. Good Luck.

My place is in zone 1. There is thousands of acres of public land close by and almost all of it is great turkey habitat but turkeys are not real numerous. I would have a plan b c d and e.
By the 1st of May they have been hunted pretty hard already. If you can't pre scout, stay high and mobile . Listen for those mid day Toms and cover a lot of ground.

Northwoods- good luck on your turkey hunt. I don’t hunt down there so no helpful advice for spots, but bring your trout gear! Prettiest part of the state for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back