single rifle

I likely wouldn't own a single shot if my #1 hadn't been gifted to me. But now that I've had the good fortune of owning one, I really do appreciate it's value. It harkens back to a different time and to a different philosophy of hunting. Marksmanship took priority over speed and getting closer to game was more important. Of the rifles I own there will never be a time where that #1 doesn't have a place.

And though they do make them, it does seem like a real waste to chamber one in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Question to whomever,
Single shots are pretty darn elegant though a question from one who's only experience with single shot comes from a Hawkins project build.

Why a single shot while hunting? I understand the immersion into the historical side of the old Sharps and Hawkins type rifles though for modern single shots? Accuracy? Sure though of the rifles in my vault, my simple Savage 111 stock is dialed in. I have additional shots ready, etc. Keep looking up the various mentioned single shot rifles and wow! They are good looking!
Is it for the added decisive one shot, one kill or the desire to step outside the generic bolt actions?

They are awesome looking! It's quite apparent there is a quality following behind single shots. This is not a knock for any reason. Why the desire for a single shot for hunting?

My more snide reply is that bolt guns are just damn ugly and who wants to hunt with an ugly gun? But that's not really the main reason. Singleshots are, like all types of guns, transitional firearms. But in this case they are the transition between percussion muzzleloaders and cartridge guns. That was probably the biggest "transition" since between the cross bow and the first gunpowder driven guns. More to the point, they came along at a really interesting (to me) era of in the history of North America and they played a great role in that, however brief it was (and it was certainly brief!). They are also the last rifles to be in action at the end of the great target shooting era that died with the Great War. If a gun doesn't have SOME connection to tradition, I cannot imagine why I would want to own it, but less use it. After all, hunting (and target shooting) is a tradition since about the beginning of time.

Beyond that, I do appreciate their incredible simplicity and most especially their elegance. It would be the end of the era where firearms were really individualized and artistic as well functional tools. Yes, there were and are attempts to carry that artistic perspective into the bolt rifle era, but it is really quite minimal in comparison. You can engrave a hammer, and that's about what a bolt rifle looks like to me., a dolled up framing hammer.m Of course that is just my opinion, but you asked.

This is one of two bolt rifles I have owned in the last few years. Unfortunately, I blew this one up. While it is about as interesting and artistic as a bolt rifle can be, it still can't hold a candle to a singleshot. The necessity of that damn dog leg on the right side, the sights, the basic guts of the bolt action hang out all over just doesn't lend itself to a handsome tool. At least not to me. It is just plain clumsy. Like I said, that is my opinion and you asked.

Steve Meunier 1903 A.JPG

Steve Meunier 1903 B.JPG

My neighbor had a great deal on this #1 300WM 2 years ago. He has taken it to Africa and also killed a brown bear with it.
I've taken an elk and deer with it so far. It's a pleasure to shoot and carry in the field. Tack driver at 200 yards.
I haven't hunted in heavy grizz country, but would probably take one of my bolt guns instead of the single shot. I really enjoy my bolt action 30 calibers too, and often switch it up.
FullSizeRender.jpg

I’ve wanted a single for a long time, there’s just something about the history and style they have. Finally purchased a ruger #1 in 300 win mag. Rifle is extremely accurate and fun to shoot. Can’t wait to take my first animal with it.

Single-shot rifles are just like any other rifle. They are a good tool, and if that is the type that floats your boat, then by all means go for it. I am not into the "elegance" of a rifle, because they are a tool with a purpose, to me. I don't care for a rifle that is too fancy to drag around over the mountains and through the brush. An "elegant" rifle to me, is one that will shoot everything sub-moa and doesn't have to be pampered.

I did, at one time, consider a Ruger #1, as it was hard to find left-hand rifles. I just never could justify the money at that point in my life. Now, I shoot left and right-handed rifles and even own a single shot! They really can be a "pretty" gun, if that sort of thing is what you are into.

Of course there is something about wood and blued steel, and case hardened steel for that matter.

But a single can be a synthetic stocked, stainless utilitarian tool also.

I had bought my wife a Rossi R243 several years ago. Heavy 23" barrel.
She has no interest in hunting, and so was a range use only gun.
Using 105gr Hornady Match bullets over RL26, she would outshoot the heck out of me to 500 yards!
As a target bench gun, while sub MOA accurate, it wasn't friendly. Reloading envolved a complete setup each time.

I've still been eyeing up a Handi Rifle in 25-06.

Actually the more i think about it the more i want to take back my caliber choice.

A Model 10 Dakota would deserve a special cartridge, like the 7mm Dakota.
7MM Dakota is my favorite cartridge

I need to stop opening these threads. Just when I tell myself I don't need another rifle, I start drooling over pictures on HT. Next thing you know, three hours browsing Gunbroker...

Oh, i hear ya!!!
My bank account, nor my wife like it either!
I need to be browsing gun safes.
My wife may not know which is which, but darned if she can't count!!

Old thread, but I’ve been going down the single shot rabbit hole of looking at Merkel K3/5’s and Blaser K95’s the last week or so... anyone have experience with either? Was looking at getting one eventually in 7mm something (either 7mm-08, 7x57, or 7x64) to keep components nice and neat for the most part.

Since this thread has been restarted I'll add my two cents. I believe a rifle to me is a utilitarian tool. Therefore I own a CVA Scout rifle in 450 Bushmaster that I use for whitetails. I hunt in areas that have black bear. I hand load for it with Barnes 275 gr XPB bullets. They are a bit much for whitetails, but just right for any aggressive black bear that I might come in contact with. Any animal in my area hit with this round will go down. I also use a nylon ammo holder on my stock just in case I need a follow-up shot.

used one for several yrs,,a hagn falling block in wildcat 204case n 6.5 cal,,as ive turned 71 and none of my family hunts i passed it onto a young lady for her 16th birthday,,hopefully i can run up some photos of her next hunt and kill(next 12 months)

Back